Recently acquired 89 Tercel, transmission question...

I am now in possession of my deceased (about 6 months ago) mom-in-law's Tercel. While there are numerous problems with the car, about which I'll be asking you good folks later, one of the things I noticed is the engine seems to be really wound tight at 60 - 70 mph. Does the 3-speed auto transmission have an over-drive?

Thanks.

Reply to
BariSaxist

3-speed auto transmissions do not have overdrive.
Reply to
Ray O

Hmmm...this SHOULD be a 3-speed with either an OD or a Lock-up, shouldn't it?

I haven't seen a Toy with a 'raw' three speed AT since about 1979...

I know they did sell Tercels at that time with 4 or 5 speed MTs, but I would have thought by '89 they would have had gotten rid of the 3-speed autos!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm too old to remember this stuff so I just checked edmunds.com ;-)

I don't remember if the transmission had a lockup TC or not. If it is not an electronically controlled transmission, I suspect that it did not have lockup. The lockup TC and overdrive were separate features. For example, the '79 Cressida had OD but no lockup.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks everyone!

Reply to