Signal clicker short?

I have a 94 Camry V6 with a bizarre problem with the signal clicker arm.

When I put on the turning signal at night, my dashboard and rear night lights switch off. When I complete my turn and the arm clicks back into position, everything comes back on.

Now it did that for a couple of weeks but now the dashboard and night lights will not come on. If i play with the clicker arm, sometimes I'll get the lights to come back on but for the most part now, they won't now.

Had it checked by a mechanic as I was sure it was just a short or switch for the clicker arm but he couldn't see anything wrong.

Any ideas?

Reply to
lukus2005

Find a competent automotive technician who knows how to diagnose and repair electrical problems. I would start by checking the headlight/turn signal combination switch (what you are calling the "signal clicker arm"), using a wiring diagram and volt/ohm meter.

Reply to
Ray O

He says he did a visual check and saw nothing wrong with it nor did he see any damaged wiring in the area of the headlight/turn signal switch.

I get the sense you think the problem might be with the switch... should I just go ahead and change it?

Reply to
Lukus

He says he did a visual check and saw nothing wrong with it nor did he see any damaged wiring in the area of the headlight/turn signal switch.

I get the sense you think the problem might be with the switch... should I just go ahead and change it?

********* I hope your mechanic did not charge you for the visual check because the wires for the combination switch are inside the steering column and are not visible without removing the steering column cover.

I never recommend changing parts as a means of diagnosing a problem. Parts should always be checked first, especially expensive parts like the combination switch, which will probably be north of $100. Check the relays for the affected wiring to make sure they are firmly seated. You can try jumpering the controlled side of the relay to see if the lighting works properly.

By any chance, does your Camry have any aftermarket accessories installed like a theft deterrent system, remote start, audio system, etc? If so, I would also check where those accessories are tied into the factory wire harness.

Reply to
Ray O