Sludge revisited

3k mile oil changes are a joke. Oil lasts longer than that, just check the results of used oil analysis. Synthetics last much longer, and this stuff about the oil still gets dirty...well yes it does, but it doesn't break down like non synthetics, and the filter takes out the dirt. Some people need an education on lubrication.
Reply to
Andy

Educate me. How long does motor oil last in an engine? Simple question, simple answer required.

Don't skirt the question by using if's, what if's, unless, perhaps, maybe, depends, should, ect

Reply to
dbu.

Non-synthetic oils last at least 5,000 miles before needing to be changed. Group III based synthetic oils last at least 7,500 miles. Group IV based synthetics can last up to 25,000 miles (or one year) provided you use the highest quality oil filters.

If you add a by-pass filter in addition to the full flow filter, you can probably double that. However with a by-pass filter insatlled, you may get even longer if you take oil samples and have them analized by a lab.

Reply to
Andy

"Scott in Florida" wrote

Just as I thought, you don't have any facts for your unsupported claim of blaming owner negligence in all these sludge related engine failures! Clearly, the burden of proof is on you. So, stop wiggling and bring on the evidence, if you have any . Otherwise, hold your - ahh - peace.

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

Mine lasts 3000 miles.

The 92 Corolla has two oil change intervals.

3750 or 5000

I opt for the lesser and add a few...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

where did you get your information from? I need some facts and test results. Just throwing 5000 miles out there is like me throwing 3000 miles except I'd feel safer with my 3 K than your 5 K, so you know where I'm coming from. Wild numbers don't convince me, I'd rather play it safe.

As for adding filters, using premium filters ect, I wanted a straight answer to my question and you threw in the qualifiers as I knew you would.

Reply to
dbu.

ROFL.....

I did NOT make a claim that something was WRONG.

The people that claim that there is something WRONG are the ones that have to prove it.

Toyota bent over to 'save face'.

The truth is....

Sludge is caused by people not changing their oil.

I am NOT the one that has to prove anything. If you follow the manufacturers recommendation on oil changes you will not get sludge...PERIOD...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Yup.

I religiously did 3k changes on my 92 civic. 10 years later, I had the oil analyzed. The report came back with amazing results.

But what that showed me is that I can pay cheap insurance in the form of oil changes. Over 120K miles, I could do 20 oil changes at 6K each or 40 oil changes at 3K each. Hmmmmm, 20 extra oil changes at $30 each....$600 more over 120K miles to insure that the lubricated parts are nice and clean? That's a no brainer.

Many people insist on using 93 octane fuel even when it's only "suggested" by the owner's manual, and they pay a bunch more than $600 over 120K miles to do that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Scott in Florida" wrote >>

ROFL Again, only posturing and wiggling from you and no supporting facts!

You claim: Toyota owners negligence causes all sludge engine failures. Where is your proof? You claim: If you follow manufacturers recommendation on oil changes you will not get sludge. Where is your proof? You claim: Toyota bent over 'to save face' Where is your proof?

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

Sludged engines did not have proper oil changes.

No one that has changed their oil at the recommended oil change intervals has had sludge.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Scott in Florida" wrote >

Just repeating your own unsupported claims makes for a poor burden of proof! Judging by your above responses, it becomes now clearly visible for this newsgroup that you may not have a shred of evidence for your sludge accusations.

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

Yep, and I being a conservative play it even an bit more safe by changing oil more than the mfg recommends.

Reply to
dbu.

My proof is positive and overwhelming.

No one that has had their oil changed at the prescribed intervals has had sludge.

If you think this claim is wrong.

Provide proof.

It should be very easy to do.

Why do you talk around the subject?

No proof.

I see....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

While you're at it, why don't you go bug "Mike Hunt(er)" and ask him for his proof to the contrary.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Lubricants World publication, vechicle manufacturers, oil life monitoring systems installed on cars, Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association. They are hardly wild numbers.

Adding by-pass filters are optional. You should always use the best filters. If you dont care about your car, I can't help that. If you use cheap filters, then they aren't going to do a very good job of removing contaminates in the oil.

I'm sure you'll find some fault, because you want to keep pushing the

3,000 mile oil change myth.
Reply to
Andy

What kind of cheap oil are you wasting your money on? Only 6k between changes? What makes you think that your engine wasn't lubricated and clean that you need to change it at 3,000 miles.

Reply to
Andy

I'm not pushing anything. I only suggested that to play it safe change oil every 3000 miles. I stand by that statement. If you or anyone else wants to change oil at 5 K 8 K 10 K or never that is their business. When your engine sludges up don't blame the MFG. of the vehicle.

Reply to
dbu.

Synthetics oils don't get sludge. Why, because sludge is formed by the breakdown of wax in the oil, of which synthetic oils dont have any.

I'm syaing that 3,000 mile oil changes are not needed, and a waste of oil.

Reply to
Andy

Nothing.

What do you mean "what kind of cheap oil"? 6K for dino, ANY dino, is a decent number--especially when you don't have the computer keeping track of everything for you and recommending when to change it.

No matter what, it's cheap insurance.

Or, you can buy dino and change a bit more often, or pay more for synthetic and change a bit less often--it all comes out in the wash.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What about all the unburned hydrocarbons and water that accumulate in the oil?

Are saying that if I drive say 150 miles at 65 mph without a stop is the same as driving 2 or 3 miles of city stop and go traffic, winter driving stop and go for only a few miles and that is the same as a long trip? The oil will be the same regardless?

Reply to
dbu.