The dreaded check engine light

OIC. Thanks!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

LOL I forgot about that. Well, the Chilton's or Haynes should tell you which pins to short anyway, if it's one of the ones which displays a blink code when key pins are shorted.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

My guess, is because it's always a good idea to know the state of your gas cap. ;-)

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Thanks so much for all your help Ray, as of today I have a new mystery though. Today I took the valve off and I also replaced two of the hoses because they broke when I was taking it off. I didn't do anything to the valve itself before I put it all back together again. When I started it up the warning light was gone. I didn't do any procedure to clear the code. Should I not worry about this anymore unless the light comes back on?

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

If the check engine light is off, then the problem doesn't exist, and there is nothing to worry about any more unless the light comes back on. It is possible that one of the vacuum hoses that broke was blocked and so the EGR valve was not operating.

Reply to
Ray O

I have several tips but first is to see if the egr is working and described in a prior post; i.e. the stumble test. Let us know hoe that turns out then we look at other things

Reply to
Stephen H

You're welcome! BTW, pay attention to Steven Hansen's post - he knows what he's talking about!

Reply to
Ray O

Because I didn't read far enough down to see that he had later pulled the code for the EGR.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Asshole!

Reply to
NickySantoro

Thanks, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something!

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, that too. Always know the state of your gas cap and asshole. Wise words indeed.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

He also knows the state of his gas cap AND his asshole. Is there NO END to the things that guy knows?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Which warning light comes on if the check engine light's bulb burns out? ;-)

Reply to
Ernie Sty

I usually know right where my asshole is, but my gas cap sometimes gets momentarily lost. :)

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

You have to use reverse logic and notice when the light doesn't come on when you turn the key on and before you crank the starter. It is akin to knowing that you are going to forget where you put something at a particular moment, so later when you forget, you will remember that you were going to forget and remember!

Reply to
Ray O

May I ask why you refferenced me to the gas cap and an asshole? Have I offended you in some manor?

Everything Ray has said is dead right, and I feel no need to expand on this work. He is a true professional in this field. It's obvious that he has a lot more time to dedicate to this newsgroup than I, but I do have resources that may assist people when needed. I did a quick search on IATN about egr issues with this vehicle and learned a few bits of info, But anything else doesn't matter if it fails the stumble test.

Reply to
Stephen H

No, but I certainly may have offended you. I must apologize. I am really sorry. Someone else in this thread responded to one of my posts with only the word "Asshole" and I meant to tease them about it. I somehow got them (NickySantoro) mixed up with you. I wish I could explain how I got you mixed up with Nicky but I just don't know.

Your posts are very helpful and you are a valuable asses to this group. Your time and effort spent here helping people is greatly appreciated and I did not mean any hostility toward you. Again, I apologize.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

LOL good one1

Reply to
Ernie Sty

No, but I certainly may have offended you. I must apologize. I am really sorry. Someone else in this thread responded to one of my posts with only the word "Asshole" and I meant to tease them about it. I somehow got them (NickySantoro) mixed up with you. I wish I could explain how I got you mixed up with Nicky but I just don't know.

Your posts are very helpful and you are a valuable asset to this group. Your time and effort spent here helping people is greatly appreciated and I did not mean any hostility toward you. Again, I apologize.

I am reposting this because I'm getting a message that the other post was deleted from the server--something I've never seen before.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

No prob... ;)

Steve