Toyota Corolla-94 brake light assembly removal

While trying to remove my Toyota Corolla-94 brake light assembly, I was able to remove the two outside black screws as well as the gold colored nut behind the trunk liner, but there are two black plastic clips or anchor points keeping the tail light assembly from coming out. I am not able to remove those two plstic mount. Can some body help me to remoive this, so that I can replace my brake light? Thanks for the help...

Reply to
SR

Toyotas use 2 types of plastic clips.

If the clip has a small button in the center, gently poke the button inwards with something like a retractable ball point pen with the point retracted, then pull the clip out. To replace, pull the button out so that it protrudes from the face of the clip, press the clip into the hole, and push the button in so that it is flush with the face of the clip.

If the clip does not have a button in the center, the easiest way to remove the clip is with a clip removal tool. If you do not have a clip removal tool, you can use 2 putty knives on each side of the face of the clip and pull it out. Auto parts stores sell clip removal tools, they generally look like a screwdriver with a bent shank and a very wide blade that has a notch in the blade.

Reply to
Ray O

Assuming you are talking about the turn/stop/tail light cluster there are no plastic clips. You've got all the bolts. Its just a matter of pulling straight out very hard. There are two pins on the outside edge of the light clusters. If you haven't had the light out in several years these pins may be corroded to the metal clips and not want to brake free. Just pull harder. :-)

Reply to
someone

Jack mumbles:

I think I just had the same problem.

Out of sight behind the tail light cluster are two rods which corrode. The cluster slides along on these rods. See if you can spray some lubricant in behind the cluster by prying on it a little from the edge closest to the front of the car. It will help. Hanes doesn't show info on this assembly.

The rods go through a pair of plastic hoops which are bolted into the side of the trunk. If you pry very hard (I used two pieces of wood like wedges), the assembly can be forced off - but I snapped one of the rings. Maybe I can fix if with shoe goo!

Perhaps I should grease these rods.

Good luck to you.

- Jack

Reply to