Toyota Canada is a JOKE!

I'm sure you guys all have your stories about Toyota service (or maybe it's just me) but here's mine from today/

2001 Toyota Corolla CE Purchased ECP (Extra Care Protection) plan good until Feb 07 or 160,000km (under 100,000km on car right now).

My driver's side door power door lock will not work and thanks to you helpful folks who were bang on the money, it was diagnosed today as being the actuator. It even says on my service statement, and I quote, "NEED TO REPLACE LEFT FRONT DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR PART #69320-02040 - $305.40 + TAX (INSTALLED) -- NOT COVERED ON ECP PLAN".

Keep in mind, the ECP plan cost $1300+tax. Also keep in mind that under my "COVERED COMPONENTS" section, under Electrical System, it says (and I quote), "...exterior mirror motors, electric door lock actuators, power seat blah blah..."

Hmmm ...?

As I look back and re-read this, I'm pretty sure I'm reading that my door lock actuators are covered under warranty but are not covered under warranty. I may not be a mensa-genius type person here but I'm pretty sure the exact same thing cannot both be covered and not covered. Now, it gets better tho ...

My helpful (haha) service guy tells me that Toyota Canada uses one part for the power door locks that includes the latch and the actuator in the same unit. Conveniently, the latch is not covered under my warranty (btw, my latch works fine).

Needless to say, my helpful service buddy is calling ever-friendly Toyota Canada back tomorrow to "argue on your behalf" as he says because the problem diagnosed as FAULTY, it also the same part covered under my warranty. I don't care how many pieces of shit they decided to bolt onto my actuator - it's broken and it's under warranty.

Has anyone gone to court with Toyota Canada? If they don't cover it, which is probable, I'm going to file but I'd like to hear from anyone with any experience going up against them.

And what really scares me is the transmission in that car has been acting up lately in first gear for some reason despite all the regular maintenance and the fact I baby it like it's a $100,000 Lexus luxury sedan and although my transmission is supposedly covered under my trusty little Extra Cost Plan, I'm sure there are 406 loopholes (maybe more) for them to bill me enough $ that I could just buy a new car. Maybe I'll get lucky and the brake line will fail as I drive it back into the service station tomorrow and the car will end up on the front desk of my friendly service staff. I'm sure they'll tell me that the "brake lines and fittings" covered under my Eat Crap Please plan are welded to the body, the struts, the left taillight, and the poor guy living down my street and since none of those are covered under my warranty I'm S.O.L.

For Sale: 1 Extended ECP Warranty. Never used. $5.

Reply to
griffin

Case in point. Extended service plans on vehicles are designed to do one thing. Separate you from your money. They are full of loopholes and rarely cover what they should. John

Reply to
JohnR66

I am pretty certain that your service writer was incorrect when he told you they would not cover the actuator,I would go to the service manager. I just looked at my Extra Care warranty and does not have the door lock solenoid or latch in the "not covered" section. I think they will handle it. My Extra Care expires in 2 days . I had the 6 yr. 75000 mile. I did have to use it 1 time. My a/c compressor was noisey after 5 yrs here in Phoenix. They replaced the compressor and accumulator and paid all other charges except my $50.00 copay with no problem. Scott

Reply to
zonie

How much did you pay for your extended service plan, including any interest, if it was part of your loan? I'll bet the initial cost, plus the interest and the $50 deductible, was greater that the cost of the repair.

The reason I say that is, historically less the ONE PERCENT of ALL the extended service plans bought from ALL of the manufacture every pay out MORE than the cost of the plan and the deductible. Those purchased from independent sellers, pay an even lower percentage ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

kinda like car insurance!

Reply to
Punch

Hardly, a vehicle accident can result in millions in damages. That is far more then the average owner will ever pay in premiums.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

thats scary, I just paid 1200.00 for a ecp 7 year for my new 06 corolla CE. I hope the 06's from the CA NUMMI plant are a little better...

Reply to
frcorey