Price haggling with the Dealer

I thought I had negotiated a pretty good price over the phone for my new '06 Corolla CE automatic with all-weather package and Convenience package (cruise with power doors), but now I'm not so sure.

The MSRP for that car is $16,100. Edmunds says the "True Market Value" of the car in zip code 65201 is $15,600. I'm getting it for $15,500 (plus only another $50 as a documentation fee--how's that for a low doc fee).

I thought I had done a great job in the negotiation. But then yesterday I read the March issue of Money Magazine, in which they list "Target Prices" for cars configured with common options, and the Target Price for last year's *'05* Corolla is $14,500--a thousand dollars less than what I negotiated for.

Of course that's Money Magazine's Target Price for last year's Corolla (2005), since the magazine's issue was published in March of '05.

So maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges, a 2005 to a 2006 Corolla CE. But I'm still left with a slight amount of gnawing doubt.

Darn, the magazine's target price for last year's '05 **LE** is $15,100--$400 less than what I'm paying for the lower end *CE*. But Edmund's shows this year's base model LE at $15,800--$300 more than my somewhat loaded CE.

I hope $15,500 is fair for the CE?

Thank you for any advice.

Reply to
Built_Well

Hagged over the phone? Hardly a sign of a serious buyer hence little incentive by dealer to give low price other than to get you in the show room plus unless contract is signed by both its NOT binding. Show up at showroom -- look over the car and then tell salesperson you are having second thoughts and walk out. He'll call before you are down the road with a better price if he indeed can do better.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
ma_twain

Better yet send a request to the Fleet Sales Manager at the dealership, listing the vehicle and equipment you want, and ask for a bid for the total delivered price on a that vehicle.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Come to think of it, I think I did okay in the price negotiation with my local Toyota dealer.

CarMax.com has a no-haggle price of about $14,800 for a new '06 Corolla CE. But the CE that I'm buying from my local dealer costs about $500 more because of the added Convenience package that CarMax isn't currently offering--so $15,500 has to be a reasonable price to pay.

The $1,000 cheaper "Target Price" of $14,500 suggested by "Money Magazine" for last year's '05 CE must not include destination charge of $550 and maybe other things.

So feelin' good again. I wasn't taken to the cleaners by my dealer after all !

Reply to
Built_Well

In my experience I quickly forget what I paid for something, but every time I use it I know whether I like it or not. I think you did fine.

Happy miles to you.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Excellent advice. We did that in '02 and got the car for invoice and it was so easy and hassle free.

Reply to
ravelation