toyota gas gauges

One.

Reply to
Ray O

Really- and where is that located? Inside the fuel tank with the fuel pump? Ray - how is this fuel delivery system all set up in T?

joe

Really.

and where is that located?

The fuel filter has moved around over the years, I'd have to look for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. The fuel pump moves fuel from the fuel tank, through the fuel pressure regulator, through the fuel lines, through the fuel filter, then more lines, to the fuel rail, to the fuel injectors. There is also a vapor recovery system with plumbing to a charcoal canister, and from the canister to the intake.

Reply to
Ray O

I should have been more clear. So the fuel pump is submerged in the tank with NO filtering - a screen perhaps on the suction side and then on to an in-line pressure regulator (about how far from the tank?) and then the in-line fuel filter. Where is that fuel filter typically located and reached? Is this a 2" x 3" plastic see-through with two hose clamps? To match the rest of the decor under the hood. Perhaps this system will pass more debris than the GM's? j

The fuel pump moves fuel from

Reply to
joe

The fuel pump is submerged in the tank. There is a stiff fine mesh at the fuel pickup. IIRC, it is shaped like a shoe.

I believe the pressure regulator in your vehicle is integral with the pump or located right next to the pump.

Fuel filters used to be mounted on the undercarriage, reached from under the vehicle. The fuel filter is generally cylindrical, 3 or 4 inches long, made of metal - not plastic, with metal fuel lines going in and out. The connections are banjo fittings, not hose clamps or threaded fittings.

I do not know how much debris, if any, a GM fuel filter will pass so I cannot say whether this system will not pass more debris than a GM or not. I doubt if either GM or a Toyota filter will pass any debris larger than a grain of sand.

The Toyota fuel filter has a fairly large surface area, I have never had occasion to change on on a fuel injected Toyota.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the info. Typical GM have a problem - add a part and so on. No real thought or engineering as to what will work best and where things should be located. So in typical GM fashion they end up with three filters.

The vapor recovery plumbing consist of what? Where does it join the tank and where does it go from there? Where or how does an overfilled tank cause damage?

joe

I have no idea why GM has 3 filters. The only reason I can think of is to have staged levels of filtration, from coarse to fine, which could improve fuel flow, or for redundancy.

Fuel tanks used to be vented to the atmosphere, and with the advent of requirements to control evaporative emissions, automakers implemented vapor recovery systems. Basically fuel that has evaporated in the tank is trapped inside a canister filled with charcoal, which acts like a sponge for the vapor. When the engine is started, a vacuum valve opens and the vapor is sucked out of the charcoal canister and burned in the engine. There is usually a hose from the fuel filler neck to the charcoal canister. If the tank is overfilled, fuel can theoretically get into the evap hose and saturate the charcoal in the canister so that the charcoal no longer has the ability to absorb fumes.

Reply to
Ray O

So this is a one time thing each time the engine is started?

So say I ruin the charcoal filter - how does that interfere with the smog test? Can the filter readily be checked - is it accessible?

In the past I thought this went to the catalytic converter and it was burned up and had to be replaced (after being checked with a cutting torch ) to pass smog??? j

There is

Reply to
joe

I checked the fuel filter location for a '97 Avalon, it is mounted next to the fuel pump in the fuel tank, with the fuel pressure regulator mounted ont he fuel filter. Your Sienna is probably set up the same way.

I think so, I'm not sure.

It is not really a charcoal filter. It is a charcoal canister designed to absorb the fuel vapor.

The charcoal canister is mounted in the engine compartment. I don't know the exact location for your vehicle so I'd have to look for it. The charcoal canister does not normally need to be checked and you don't need to worry about it unless you get a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and a trouble code that points to the canister. There are about 15 steps for inspection of the charcoal canister, including looking for cracks and damage, and using compressed air and a vacuum pump to check the ports.

From what I've read in this ng, the most common problems with the evaporative emissions systems are loose gas cap (the most likely cause of a P0440 code) and a bad evaporative emissions system vacuum switching valve.

Venting the charcoal canister to the catalytic converter is not a practical way to get rid of the vapor. Obviously, fuel vapor is flammable so connecting a canister full of flammable vapor to the converter, which gets really hot runs the risk of fire or explosion. Also, the fuel vapor does contain energy that could be used in the engine so it is more practical and environmentally friendly to use it in the engine than just burning it away.

Reply to
Ray O

What is a Toyota banjo fittings? How do you connect and disconnect one of those? Special tools required? It is a term that has come to mean just about anything including what is manufactured by Banjo Corporation. j

Reply to
joe

joe wrote: --cut--

Banjo fittings are very common on aircraft...somewhat hard to explain though...imagine a hollowed out donut with a pipe leading away from one side of it...now, insert a hollow bolt (which has holes drilled through it) through the donut 'hole'.

This allows fluid to flow through the pipe, into the hollow donut, through the holes drilled through the bolt then down through the hollow bolt itself and into the next part. Very good fitting, easy to seal, just replace the sealing washer on each side of the donut...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Aircraft enabled me to find it.

Appears to be a low tech 90 deg fitting that can be assembled using ordinary wrenches. Anything special about the sealing washers? Are they common "O" rings? Must they be replaced each time unscrewed?

Reply to
joe

Well, not especially, just copper washers (not o'rings that I've ever seen) certainly not rocket science, quite useful in that the output can be on any angle around the 'circle'

Reply to
Gord Beaman

In mine ('91 celica GT-Four) I have a strainer type filter on the pump pickup (was clean as a whistle) and one on the bulkhead at the back of the engine bay then right into the fuel rail. I've considered swapping the bulkhead one at some point as im now running way more than standard (knocking on 300 crank hp, over the stock 200) but its not seemed a limitation as yet - i can still flow more fuel than i can burn at full boost (15psi over the normal 10-11) even at the upper edge of the working window of the stock 440 injectors. I've had the AFRs down to

8.8 while it wasnt tuned properly. J
Reply to
Coyoteboy