Toyota has #1 auto brand value in US

In a determination of the value of brands, Toyota was ranked #1 with a value of $33 billion.

The rankings:

1 Toyota $33.4B 2 BMW $25.8B 3 Mercedes $17.8B 4 Honda $15.5B 5 Porsche $13.4B 6 Ford $12.6B 7 Chevolet $11.2B 8 Nissan $11.2B 9 VW $7B 10 Lexus $5.4B

Of top ten auto brands, 4 Japanese (Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Lexus) 4 German (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and VW) and only 2 (American Ford and Chevy) made the top 10.

These are the worldwide value of the brands, not just the american value.

You can read about the methods in the actual report.

Reply to
Jeff

Toyota owns Lexus... they make the money off of sold Lexus...

So go ahead and make that a 37.8 billion...

Go Mavs

Go Mavs

Wrong. Toyota and Lexus are seperate brands.

Notice that Ford didn't include Mercury or Lincoln.

And Chevy didn't include GMC, Pontiac or Caddy.

You need to compare apples to apples, not oranges.

And I was wrong. These are the world-wide values of the brands, not just US values.

Jeff

Jeff

So you are taking this seriously when the #1 brand is Google? Toyota is in a dead heat with McDonalds.........McCar anyone? In the US, Toyota didn't make the 10 "brands."

So what are these guys selling?

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

They are selling their report.

You can read the methods in the actual report (I had the link on the original post).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not surprising to see Ed the troll completely miss the point as always... we're talking auto brands only.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Why the personal attack? Back to my comments:

The report doesn't talk just auto brands. Sure they separate out auto brands into a separate category, but what is the significance? What does it mean? How can you just talk about auto brands, when the report covered the top 100 brands, only ten of which were automobile brands? If the larger context seems wacky, why would you give a lot of credence to just the auto brands portion?

They say:

"The ranking is based on the brand's 'dollar value', calculated by using an economic use approach; the brand value shown in our ranking is based on the present value of the earnings that the brand is expected to generate in the future.

"The BRANDZ Top 100 provides two metrics of brand performance in addition to brand value: Brand Contribution and Brand Momentum. Brand Contribution quantifies the share of the company's earnings attributable to the brand. Brand Momentum is an index of a brand's short-term growth rate (1 year).

"BRANDZ is a diagnostic and predictive brand equity measurement tool that was developed for WPP's operating companies by Millward Brown in

1998 and has been running every year since then. It is based on Millward Brown's established BrandDynamicsT framework. BRANDZ data is collected from interviews with category buyers or users (e.g. new car owners) who are asked about brands within a competitive framework (e.g. BMW, VW, Ford, Toyota etc)."

This strikes me as a bunch of double speak. They combine predicted future earnings (no more than a guess) with consumer surveys, reported financial data, and a guess as to the brands contribution to come up with a number. I can't see how this is particularly meaningful.

You might want to focus on auto brands, but the report compared all brands. The fact that Google was #1 using their methods leads me to think the whole ranking is suspect. McDonald's ranking was essentially the same as Toyotas and was growing faster. Nokia had almost as high a brand value as Toyota and it too was growing faster. So what should I take from this. What decision would a savvy car buyer make as a result? Should I buy a Toyota because they might make a lot of money in the next ten years, or because a lot of people recognize the name? Maybe if I was an investor I might decide that I should buy Toyota stock because of this ranking, but if I thought this was important, wouldn't I be better off buying Google, or GE, or China Mobile (all ranked well ahead of Toyota). Do you really think in the long run Google is a more valuable brand than Toyota? According to this report, it's brand value was nearly twice Toyota's. And if you want to just talk auto brands, do you think that BMW is 77% as valuable as Toyota?

In my opinion, this is a nearly meaningless indicator. If a company has high brand recognition and actually makes money, it will show up well in this ranking.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The only conclusion is that the Toyota brand name is more valuable than other car brand name. It has *absolutely nothing* to do with the value of a Toyota car vs. a Peugeot car or a Ford car.

I never said I agreed or disagreed with the conclusions of the report. I don't know enough about the international auto market or the international internet market.

It is but one indication of the market.

And, had you looked further in the report, you would have noticed that they grouped the top ten auto brands together (page 18 of 27). I was mistaken: This is an global value, not US value. Some of the companies listed do not even do business in the US.

It talks about the value of the brand, not the value of the products associated with the brand. It basically says what the value of a Toyota car is vs. and identical car that is a Chevy or a Ford or whatever. In other words, what value the brand name has to the company, not the end user.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It is like Toyota ads the say Americas number on car 'brand,' to confuse the fact of who actually sells the most cars in the US, which is GM.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You should know by now that if you post anything in this NG that does not concur with the bias that is epidemic here, you will be labeled a troll. The post was trolled other NGs by the real trolls but hey who's watching? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, you would make less of a fool of yourself if you actually read the posts before responding to them.

Toyota is not claiming that it is the number one vehicle brand. Another company, in the marketing business, is saying that Toyota is the number 1 auto brand in the world (not just the US), according to the value of that brand, in the world (I mistakingly said in the US). The value of the brand is how much additional value the brand brings to the company. Read the actual report (I posted a link on the first article I posted about this).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Once again you demonstrate your constant state of confusion. Read the topic of the thread, I never said Toyota was making a claim in what you posted. What part of "It is like Toyota ads" did you not understand? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I am telling you that Toyota is making the money.. regardless of the name...

Go Mavs