Toyota Sienna Liftgate brake mod

A fellow Sienna owner and myself put this mod together to fix a design flaw in the Sienna minivan (recent year models 2004-on). If you own a sienna, take a look at this mod. I am getting insurance data today that proves that Siennas experience more than usual amount of rear end accidents - because of poor visibility of the brake lights.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

One of the more practical mods I've seen!

Reply to
Ray O

"Sorry, the link you followed is broken"

Reply to
Hachiroku

I too got the message that the link you posted is no good. Please repost the correct one. Thanks. Morton

Reply to
Morton Linder

They moved the thread - here is the working link:

Dan J.S.

sorry

Dan J.S.

Sorry

Dan J.S.

Ach So...

In the days when Toyotas had a 'split' tail light, like my Corolla, I made it so the Inner lights are Brakes Only, like in Europe. And, i made the outer brake lights into Fog Lights by adding a Relay into the circuit, with a Toyota Fog lamp switch on the dash. In the Off position, the outer lights work normally, taillights and brake lights. For the Fog lights, it turns on the brake light filament, and the inner 'brake lights' take over the brake light duties.

Oh, BTW, the inner 'Brake Lights' are a single filament, 50W Halogen bulb...each. 100W of brake lights!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sweet... yeah its a lot less in these.. just 18W each bulb -- and single filament - hence all the resistors. it runs around 8 in normal condition, jumps to 18 when brakes are pressed... much safer since the wife drives the minivan

Reply to
Dan J.S.