triveneto racing( toyota cars and trucks)

Sono qui in veste di giornalista/promotore di un sito di nuova=20 generazione... .=2E.www.trivenetoracing.it

Se volete conoscere o darci voi stessi delle informazioni relative a=20 classifiche, foto, news nell'ambito dei motori nel triveneto=20 contattateci e visitate il nostro sito internet. Oltre ad aggiornate classifiche, foto, news troverete anche=20 rivenditori,elaboratori e multimarche oltre che ad un mercatino ondine

Distinti saluti Thomas Pal=F9 Delegato alle pubbliche relazioni

P=2ES.: se volete contattarmi questa =E8 la mia e-mail snipped-for-privacy@trivenetoracing.it

Reply to
trivenetoracing

All,

Has anybody had any experience towing a boat trailer with a Highlander Hybrid?

What happens when you try to pull a boat trailer out of the water up a 10% launching ramp.

I just bought the Highlander Hybrid and am looking for answers...it is on the battery much less than I thought it would be.

Walt

Reply to
Walt & Lynda Johnson

Not yet. A friend bought one but, it is winter now.

Seems like it should work. Towing capacity is 3500#. At least it *can* tow, which is more than you can say for the Ford Escape.

Do you have 2WD or 4WD model? The 4WD model has an extra 50 KW electric motor in the rear that produces

96 ft-lb of extra torque.
Reply to
Bill Tuthill

Is its hybrid tech related to the Prius'? If so, it's likely the electric motor's power is coming via the non-battery route: petrol engine --> electric generator --> electric motor The Mk2 Prius uses that mode a lot.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Andrew

The Prius has a "power splitter" that operates the petrol motor and electric motor in "parallel" - in parallel is important to understanding this simple design. It can be 100% either way or anything in between; say 60% petrol motor, 40% electric motor combining to give power. It doesn't have a conventional "in-line" transmission. The power splitter offers to the differential/wheels, electric motor torque characteristics (no in-line transmission needed with 100% EVs). The torque curve of a petrol engine is smoothed out by the addition of the electric motor which fills the gaps in the curve. The combined power of the two motors goes directly to the wheels with no variable belts or cogs shifted.

Reply to
L2007

Yes, the setup in there is damn clever. I have endless fun, just watching the mimic diagram on my Prius' console (*whoops*, almost scored another car, there!) and noticing how often the battery is left out of the circuit, while engine --> generator --> motor. A fluid suituation, however, as the electrical stuff has a habit of switching on/off in a rapid series of eye blinks.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

All,

Thanks all for contributing to this discussion.

Mine is the 4WD-I version. I believe that the rear axle is totally electric but haven't climbed underneath to check.

Walt

Reply to
Walt & Lynda Johnson

Really? You are saying that there is no driveshaft from the engine to the rear wheels, thus no center differential, locking or otherwise?

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

You may want to ask on some more Highlander Hybrid specific groups, such as:

Meanwhile, you note that your engine is running more often than you thought on your new HH. I assume that it is cold where you are... The engine will run to warm itself and emission components up, besides providing the passenger cabin (and the batteries) with heat...

Reply to
mrv

mrv,

Thanks for the pointers to more specific groups. I'll keep an eye here but also look at the others.

Walt

Reply to
Walt & Lynda Johnson

All...yes, that is what I was saying in the above statement. This came from two different sales people at two different Toyota dealerships. I haven't climbed underneath to check it out so I'm still wondering. Considering that the whole vehicle seems to be computer controlled it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

This is OK with me, as I don't seek to take the Highlander off-road, but merely want the 4WD for snowy roads and pulling boats up sandy boat ramps. We live at the top of a mile and a quarter of a 11% grade. For off road I have a Jeep Wrangler with lockers and oversized (31x10.50) tires.

Walt

Reply to
Walt & Lynda Johnson

Thanks.

I'm surprised, because there is a regular (non-hybrid) 4WD Highlander, which I assume has driveshaft to the rear wheels. So I thought Toyota would have based the hybrid on the traditional design.

The hybrid Highlander weighs 5675# versus "only" 5360# (GVWR) for the gas-powered Highlander, so lack of driveshaft didn't help much to cut down weight! Jeesh that is one heavy vehicle.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

Sorry, the respective curb weights are 3880# for traditional gas 4WD, and 4190# for hybrid 4WD.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

The 4WD Highlander Hybrid is the cousin of the 4WD RX400h. The hybrid system is a modified/upgraded version/meld of the THS (found on the

2001-2003 Prius) and the THS-C/E-four design (found on the 2001-2004? hybrid Estima). I don't recall the name of the new system, but THS-II- SUV comes to mind.

The rear wheels are powered by an additional (3rd) MG (motor- generator) in 4WD mode. It's not completely 4WD, as the rear motor can't handle the load all by itself if both front wheels are stuck/ slipping, but it does help provide additional control. It's not meant for off-road use, but some light off-roading (dirt trails that aren't mud bogs) should be fine.

One of the touted benefits of using a rear electric motor to provide

4WD rather than the traditional extended driveshaft, is that by using the rear electric motor you do not have the big traditional exteded driveshaft in the way of things in the undercarriage... So Toyota could potentially offer something similar to the DaimlerChrysler "Stow 'n Go" seating but in a 4WD option.
Reply to
mrv

Can you explain why the THS hybrid Highlander weighs so much more than the gas-powered Highlander?

The 2G Prius is no heavier than a normal car its size. I don't believe electric motors are ultra heavy.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

Actually, electric motors are pretty heavy because the wires wound around the rotor core are pretty dense.

A hybrid vehicle also has batteries, which are not very light.

Reply to
Ray O