TTY bolts? Are they marked?

Greetings

Is there some obvious markings on Toyota bolts (head bolts in particular) that allow the quick and easy identification of torque to yield (TTY) bolts?

Or... Is it more that Toyota always use them, or have done so from a certain point in time?

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hammo

AFAIK, and as far as the answer in your other thread was already given, they are not marked specifically. However they have been used for decades and so can be considered not a special case or rare. If your torque figures are given in stages "X lbft then 50 degrees" it is highly likely to be a stretch bolt. Many crank pulley bolts are. Generally critical and high-stress bolts ARE TTY.

Simple answer is that they are fairly cheap so dont take the risk. If one snaps you'll have a lot more work and cost on your hands trying to remove it.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thanks for that.

I can't see the other thread, or even my post, hence why I posted the question again.

Cheers

Hammo

No problemmo, wondered why you'd gone on a posting spree :-) . Jump on google groups if you want to read the rest of your replies in the other post, no need to sign up. But they all basically say the same thing.

Good luck J

Reply to
Coyoteboy