types of bolts

how to identify whether a bolt is metric(mm) or british(inch) or unified(unc) by just visual look

Reply to
ubhat

Google: bolt type identification

Click the first link on the list.

How easy is that?

Reply to
Hank

i think you just learn little knowlege about standard of bolt ok

Reply to
autoismylife

Where does this show how to identify thread pitch/size? It appears to be a strength chart.

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote in rec.autos.tech

I was staying out of this discussion because it has been far too many years since I needed to worry size identification on a regular basis. Usually there are no markings indicating size or thread or metric or whatever. But, first of all, you need to remember that the American standard for bolts have 2 thread pitches, these are measured in threads per inch. Thus you could have a quarter 20 bolt or a quarter 39 IIRC. The difference is readily apparent. Only on small bolts and screws is it hard to tell the difference. Metric bolts have different threads, and while I don't know what they are, and they are not neccesarily easy to spot, there are ways to tell the difference. Number one, get some nuts of the common sizes you run into and label them. When you need a bolt run the old one into the nut and see how it works. Or buy a thread pitch gauge. Easy to use, but maybe kind of pricey. Or, for me, the easiest thing to do is: if it is American made, it will have standard inch bolts, if it is made overseas it will be metric. One can probably buy a cheap plastic card that has holes punched for different sized bolts, both metric and american. Note, the sockets and wrenches for the American bolts are designated by bolt size, in other words, the half inch socket fits a bolt half an inch in diameter. While metrics are measured by head size, IIRC.

Reply to
Dick C