Vibration in a 2000 Solara

Hello,

I have a 2000 Solara and for the past several months I've been having some noise and vibration, mostly at highway speeds. At first I thought this was my tires - I had two of them that were cupped. However, last week I replaced all four tires and the noise and vibration are still there.

The strange thing is that it's not constant. There are times when I don't hear (or feel) it at all at high speeds, and there are times when I feel it at much slower speeds. Oddly enough it seems like it happens more (or maybe I just notice it more) on very smooth roads. There are times when it's bad enough that my steering wheel is shaking, and other times it's not much more than noise. It seems to be worse when I apply the brakes.

I've had all four tires replaced, all four have been balanced. I suspect it might be a bent rim, but my mechanic says that would be detected when they do the balance. The alignment has been checked and is fine...

So what else could it be? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
cphite

Assuming that the vibration is not caused by the road surface itself and the tires are perfectly balanced - have you brought them back to be re-balanced?, check wheel bearings hub, the wheels themselves, CV joints, axle, rack ends. To properly diagnose, the shop will need a dial indicator.

Reply to
Ray O

Tirerack.com has the following:

a look at that flowchart. The concept is to move the tires around the car in a logical manner and see the vibration follows a certain tire. If it is the front end, the steering wheel will shake - which is what you described. Move ONE front tire to the back. Did the vibration move to the back (does it feel like your butt is shaking). Take a look at the flow chart for more details. I had the same symptons you descibe. I put four snow tires on and the problem disappeared. I put the original all-seasons back on, but with the fronts on the back. Guess what - no front end skaking. I either have out of balance/out of round tires or a bent rim on the two tires on the back.

Reply to
ma_twain

I'm sure it's not the road as it happens all over, plus my wifes car is driven along the same roads without the noise. The tires are all brand new and balanced.

My suspicion is that it's one or more of the rims - was just hoping to get some ideas of what *else* it might be. I was planning to take it to a Toyota dealer sometime next week.

Thanks for the information :)

Reply to
cphite

If the vibration was not present before the tires were changed, then the easiest thing to do is just bring it back and have them fix whatever it is, most likely wheel balance.

Reply to
Ray O