WAY OT: Hey, Mark D.

Ever get to Home Depot? I was going to buy an Ariens 9.5 HP snowblower. Saw it last night. Went back today....gone!

I'm getting tired of screwing with these 30 YO things! They had it for $699, list $1000. If you go there, take a look and report back. I don't feel like driving to W. SPFLD, and if I don't get one, it won't really break my heart...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sorry, I don't go to that one anymore.

Reply to
mark digital©

Hint: Open your yellow pages and look up locally owned stores that specialize in power equipment like mowers & snow blowers. Make a few phone calls. They want to get rid of snow blowers just as badly as Home Depot does. That's how I got mine at a hot price. Plus, instead of a warranty with a bunch of idiots standing behind it (Home Depot), you'll get a shop that can actually help you when necessary.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bad attitude and bad service is like a cancer. It takes awhile to find and get rid of it. Home Depot has gotten much better since they've stopped hiring the same people they put out of business. There seems to be a fine line between hiring a knowledgeable person and hiring an ex-owner who thinks he's too good to be there.

Reply to
mark digital©

Will HD replace a defective carburetor on premises?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Last week I was at my local Home Depot. While I was in the store I noticed several employees dressed nicer than normal with SPOTLESS aprons on. (Yes, you can smell a corporate visit a mile away.) They were traveling in a pack inspecting displays and such. I also noticed the employees tripping over themselves to be helpful. The cashiers were even out from the register areas nearly at parade rest and the place was spotless. Things should be back to normal now. lol

Reply to
Truckdude

I don't know. I've seen them do crazy things for people without a receipt.

Seriously though, I'm not disagreeing with you Joe. I'm only speaking of the three Home Depots in my area. I just got burned $200 for a repair from a local shop. I explained the symptoms, he said he understood, handed me back my power equipment after three weeks and the problem was still there. Ok well, I guess the next time I happen to be passing by his shop it's going to be for sale or all boarded up. Always be on the lookout for wall posters meant to humiliate the customer. I.E. "You want it when?" "Dumb looks still free" Yeah, real funny.

Reply to
mark digital©

Yep; local shop mine's from does pick up & delivery for its servicing.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I tend to think it's all up to the individual store. 30 years ago I wanted a new power mower, and shopped Sears three or four times and could never find anyone to wait on me and answer questions, so I said "screw it" and went to Montgomery Ward (the late lamented) and the salesman was knowledgeable, helpful, and couldn't have been better. And it was a good mower which ran for 25 years. Fast forward a few decades and... I bought an electric mower from Sears in our new home town, with fine assistance, and after almost a year, the motor seemed to be burned out so I returned it under warranty to them. They fixed it, called me when it was done (only a few days), were very pleasant and toted it out to my car and put it in the trunk for me! The difference between treatment by another Sears store 30 years ago and this one was like night and day.

Reply to
mack

Which one do you go to?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I hope so...because the local shop has the same machine for only $1200! Yeah, I guess the 'local touch' is worth $600...

I live in a small, rural area. Local shops don't have the buying power, and pay as much for their equipment as I would buying it from a "Big Box"...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I am just inside the 495 belt. 14 yrs ago I bought an MTD 24" with an

8 hp Tecumsah engine at Wally World. It has performed flawlessly with just oil changes every year. I bought new belts last year but the originals are still like new. My driveway is 80' and I get plowed in with 5' drifts in front of the driveway. Smartest tool I ever. OT- The Boston Police are hiring right now. The highest paid officer made $240,000 last year. $150,000 is not uncommon.
Reply to
ronbon

Somehow, I don't think they'll be too hot to hire me...

I turned 50 last month...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Where do you live, Jeff?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Get a grip, Hachi. I don't need this image in my head 4 in the morning.

Reply to
mark digital©

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*I* was referring to; does he live in FLA, TX, Calif or AZ where a snow THROWER is an unnecessary piece of equipment!!!

Get your minds back UP to the gutter!!! ;P

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

That's....what I thought...

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

I see on Ariens web sight they still call them snowblowers. And the oddest thing is, according to their dealer locator, Home Depot is listed. But Home Depot doesn't list Ariens on their web sight. It doesn't matter to me much because I have a snow thrower already. A crappy from-day-one 10 hp Yardman.

Reply to
mark digital©

Yeah, I noticed that. I think either since the season is 'over' they have removed them, or perhaps they are getting away from Ariens...?

Yeah, the Yardman and MTD models don't thrill me. If you look for engines, they have Tecumseh engines listed as either Tecumseh or *MTD*, with a note they were made for MTD machines (If you look at Yardman, MTD, White and a couple other brands, they are the SAME machines!)

I have heard the engine listed as *MTD* aren't made as well as the others...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B