What's this hose -- any experts know?

I had to remove the air cleaner on my '87 Corolla to get to the power steering...

While doing so, I tore a small hose, so I have to replace it. The bits and pieces I have lying in the shed don't fit, so I'll have to hit the parts store....Anyone know WHAT this hose is?

It is one of two hoses that come from the valve cover. One of the hoses is the PCV hose. But, I tore the other hose on the cover. The hose that is ripped is located about two inches or so from the PCV hose and this hose runs from the cover into the air cleaner housing.....Anyone have a name/function for this second hose?

Reply to
timbirr

I dunno, but I bet the car runs like cr@p without it!

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it fell off the bottom of the air cleaner while I was doing a tune-up on an old Tercel I had. Car stumbled horribly until Ray suggested looking at hoses et, voila!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not really, it just stalls, and the idle runs up and down from Zero to

4000 rpm or so...LOL.

It's some kind of air intake, I guess. Once my wife gets home I'll have to drive her Camry to the closest parts store, which is 20 miles.....

Reply to
timbirr

See my answer in the camry group. Basically, bring the hose with you; they'll sort it out!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Here's a picture from a 1986 Corolla. The hose for the PCV valve is in place, but the hose I think you're referring to is the breather hose for the PCV system, and it's missing here but normally connects between the short silver pipe on the valve cover and the black pipe on the bottom of the air filter housing:

larry moe 'n curly