So what's with this oil changing schedule?

Let's say the suggested replacement of motor oil is 3000 miles or 3 months. I put less than 4000 miles on my truck a year (1997 PU with 47,800 miles, about 1 year of that time commuting some 80 miles a day). So what if I adhere to the 3000 mile mark rather than the 3 month mark, what happens to the oil?

Reply to
willshak

TopPoster

On 12/23/2004 4:20 PM US(ET), TopPoster took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

So if I drive home after having the oil changed, and I leave the truck sitting for 3 months, the amount of acid in the oil would be the same as if I had driven the truck for 3000 miles during that period?

Reply to
willshak

No, it is acidic _buildup_. But expect the acidic nature to have some effect on your engine. If you drove it 3000 miles and let it sit for

3mos, unchanged, the effect would be greater than in your example. Just use common sense. In your example, I would not change it at all at that particular 3 mo. period.
Reply to
TopPoster

That's a toughy to answer but I can tell you that if the vehicle sits for 3 months without being started that you're setting yourself up for engine damage down the road (very increased wear) due to parts not being routinely `bathed'.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Reply to
TopPoster

On 12/23/2004 5:26 PM US(ET), Truck took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

That was just an extreme example. I may drive the truck once or twice a week, but for less than 20 miles round trip. I may also make a 500 mile round trip every 6 months or so. It just seems like a waste of OPEC oil to change it on a chronological schedule rather than an actual use schedule.

Reply to
willshak

Like the man said, use common sense. In your situation I'd probably change to a synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and change it annually. Old wives tale says don't change to a syn oil with a lot of mileage on an engine. Experts will tell you it's OK to do so.

YMMV.

Reply to
Butch Davis

As engine sits, water vapor will condense inside the pan, leaving droplets of water. Combustion produces by products that will create acids in the presence of water, and this stuff sits in your oil attacking all of your engine parts. Best to run the engine until it's good and hot to drive off all of the moisture. I'd recommend a synthetic oil.

Reply to
rezarf