Where can I get a Corolla wagon?

I'm in the US and would like to get a Corolla wagon. (I don't want a Matrix). They are still being made; Toyota of El Salvador has them for sale:

I assume they are made in Japan? Does anyone know if it's possible to order one to be delivered to the US? Has anyone tried something like this? How do you do it? I have a friend in Japan -- can he buy one for me and ship it? Are there laws that regulate/prohibit this? Big taxes and fees?

Thanks.

John snipped-for-privacy@myfastELEPHANTmail.com (remove the pachyderm)

Reply to
john

I share your thoughts.

I will keep my '92 Corolla Wagon for another 15 years...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

There is no official way to order a vehicle that is not certified for sale in the U.S. You may be able to import a car yourself, but only from certain markets.

Go to

click on the "about Toyota" tab, click on the "search/help" link, click on the "frequently asked questions" link, then search "import" in the faq section to learn more.

Even if you were able to get the car registered, a Japan model car will be right-hand drive so using drive-up services will be difficult, like paying for parking, fast food drive-throughs, tool booths, etc. Also, there is no easy way to get parts that are not normally sold, like the back hatch, rear glass, etc.

Reply to
Ray O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ yep, as Ray says, it's definitely NOT a good idea to import a car that doesn't comply with US standards. I recall reading several years ago about a fellow who imported a rather unusual car from Japan, like a (oh, I don't know, but we'll say a Toyota Crown Limo....that unusual). He paid big bucks to ship it across the Pacific, got it here and found that due to bumper height, safety glass, emission controls, and a dozen other non-standard features, he was not able to get it licensed in the US....not only that but the authorities (state?...federal?) demanded that he not just haul it to a wrecking yard, but had to have it crushed! He ended up in a lose...lose...lose...lose situation.

Reply to
mack

sorry, but no chance in hell, especially if youre in a state with smog checks...if that was the case, people would still be going to mexico to buy new VW beetles.

i *imagine* one could get the title and VIN from a junked 2006 corolla, and re-VIN the illegal wagon, without anyone being the wiser, IF it was in a non-smog-check state.

youd have a helluva time reselling it, though. or collecting on an insurance claim.

Reply to
mike

Sounds like fraud to me.

I don't think I would be recommending fraud...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Interesting warnings you've gotten here. Some make sense, but if you really want this car, you'll need to speak to someone who actually has experience importing MANY cars this way. The car you want might EXCEED the pollution & safety standards in your state.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Japan is RHD ...

if you REALLY want a wagon, search out an early 90's Corolla wagon with std transmission in good rust free body condition (eg from Arizona), and restore it with

- full engine recondition

- full transmission recondition (std because you don't want a worn out automatic that's will give up sooner than later)

- full suspension rebuild (shocks and all bushes)

- new whatever else is needed

- new paint job

You are good to go, not cheap, but certainly cheaper than buying a new car or importing one.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

They finally stopped making them there a few years ago.

Reply to
larwe

The answer is yes, yes, yes and yes. Contact an export import expert

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I suggest you start stockpiling parts, while they are still available. OEM Toyota parts are hard to come by and very expensive after ten year or so ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are obviously NOT a collector. If you were you would know a restoration costs many times as much as buying a new car. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have a Pontiac Vibe, which is 85% a Matrix just not as "modern" looking on the outside. I love it.

John

Reply to
John

I believe the Vibe is 99% Matrix, but unfortunately maintenance at a GM dealer will only be about 50% or less of what much more experienced on the Matrix Toyota mechanics can provide.

Reply to
who

I would love to have a Corolla SW as well, but I'm not about to try upgrading an older old tech one. Here there is one dealer importing a 5 yr old Japanese Nissan sport car model. Unfortunately it's right hand drive, not very desirable here.

IMO it would be best to import the rear end of a front wrecked Japanese Corolla SW, then graft in on to a current local model. You only need the upper body part.

Reply to
who

Your right, I'm NOT a collector, but I do know what a RESTORATION costs. I done enough over the last 30 years.

It does make a difference depending on how much work you can do yourself. Sure, a full restoration like you see on Overhaulin' is very expensive. Doing enough work to make the car look and drive like a near new car can be a viable proposition if you intend to keep the car for another 5-8 years, which is what the OP seemed to be suggesting.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Can somebody tell me where I can find out about loss leader ads without having to buy a newspaper every day? Los Angeles.

Reply to
Bobbi

I am interested in buying a set of Corolla alloy wheels in Los Angeles. Where can I find some take offs?

Reply to
Bobbi

Visit your public library, WBMA ;)

mike