Where is my horn? 2004 Toyota Prius

Can anyone give me some guidance on where to look for my horn on my

2004 Toyota Prius? The engine compartment is so packed, I'm having a hard time locating it.
Reply to
ChrisSz

Maybe you left it along side you guitar?

Reply to
mark digital©

Not sure, but look along the bottom of the car, behind the bumper. They used to put them right behind the grille, but on the newer ones they are further down, or in some cases behind the headlights.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Open the lid. Stick your head under. Ask a friend to press the button. Follow the sound.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Great answer, but a better one might be "Get behind the wheel, ask your friend to look under the hood, and then push the horn button. Have your friend follow the noise to its source." That way you get to keep seated in comfort while your friend goes deaf.

I wonder why the OP is interested in finding his horn....if it works, what's the problem?

Reply to
mack

You guys are hilarious

Reply to
edv

I can guess why. We just bought a brand new Prius (yea!) and I had to use the horn to ward off another driver who was mis-signaling. It was a really meek horn and everyone in the car laughed, including me. My thought at that moment was 'I gotta replace this horn....' Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Get the horn that belongs in the 2002 Tacoma. It'll remove the bark from a tree 50 feet away. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The advice about having some press the horn button while someone else looks under the hood is actually the most practical method if you do not know where it is. Likely places are behind the grille in front of the radiator, on the firewall, or on one of the inner fenders.

Reply to
Ray O

pssst. why's the sound of the horn so important?

Reply to
mark digital©

I think it was "mark_digital©" who stated:

It's 'cause the horn is a safety item; to wake up the driver tha's coming across the lane and about to smash into my motorcycle and send me off into the ditch to die! Or car, in this case . . . .

I ALWAYS put LOUD horns in my vehicles . . . and then try to drive in such a way that I don't need to use them. But sometimes a loud BEEP is needed to alert some @$$HOLE that I'm really there. At those times, the of a stock horn isn't enough. I want a commanding in those occasions.

-DON IN ROCHESTER

-- I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Reply to
Don Fearn

Horn's duff. Or they fitted a different type in yours. My Prius yells its head off. Horns aren't exactly rocket science any more.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Pretty cool, I've always replaced the original horn with a 144db air horn in all the vehicles I've owned. This is cheaper by about $30. Nothing like a good loud horn to turn heads.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I agree with this completely. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You shouldn't be allowed on the road with a question like that. Simply have someone press the horn button while you have your head under the hood.

Reply to
sharx35

Install an air horn, like the trucker's use.

Reply to
sharx35

Preferrably far enough away from the horn to maybe avoid banging your cranium on the hood...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm looking for my horn because I have bought a new one (two, actually. High and low pitch) to replace MY BROKEN HORN! Yes, it no longer works so you're absolutely hilarious comment to toot the horn and look for it was just so witty, and yet, like the person(s) who made the comment, utterly impotent. No, that wasn't 'Important'. It was 'Impotent'. Look it up.

And, yes, it's a matter of safety. You can't drive in and around DC without one.

Reply to
ChrisSz

...and that's a good reason for the question. My suggestion would now be to see if you can listen for it on another Prius if you do not get a real answer otherwise. Mine is out being used tonight. If I remember I will try to look using the popular technique espoused here (using _another_ head underneath). Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You didn't say the horn was broken. The reason given for asking was that the engine compartment was packed.

And yes, we get some really stupid people asking questions here, from time to time.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson