Which Cost More? Oil or ...

Price per barrel:

Oil $133 Coca Cola $126 Milk $163 Perrier Water $300 Budweiser $447 Starbucks Latte $954 Ben & Jerry's $1,609 Tabasco Sauce $6,155 Chanel No 5 $1,666,560

Reply to
Mark A

And your point is?

Which of the above do I need to get to work? Which of the above is needed to transport our food and our manufactured goods? Which of the above is used to manufacture other needed goods like plastics?

I'm sorry, what was your point again?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Utterly pointless waste of time posting this nonsense.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

BT, SeenT. Who buys Chanel No. 5 by the barrel and on a frequent basis?? Some of those items are purchased frequently, some in relatively large amounts, but none of them (except maybe beer by certain people, and B&J's by others!) both by the barrel & often. The comparisons aren't valid. Interesting maybe, but that's it.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I didn't pick the items in the list. Got them from CNBC website:

Mark A

I didn't assume that you had picked the items.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

.....and you were stupid enough to repeat their nonsense.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't think it is complete nonsense.

One thing that we all thought would help solve our dependency on foreign oil is ethanol. It turns out that since it comes from mostly corn crops (at least in the US) the increase in ethanol has caused food prices to skyrocket as more and more farmland is converted to growing crops to make ethanol and also because the cost of feedstock has increased for animals.

Reply to
Mark A

See that paragraph above, beginning with "One thing that we all..." ?

See it?

It has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion or the list of silly items you posted to begin the thread.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

joe is a cream puff.

Reply to
dbu

I guess he was suggesting if one did not buy Coca Cola @ $126, Milk @ $163, Perrier Water @ $300, Budweiser @ $447, Starbucks Latte @ $954, Ben & Jerry's @ $1,609, Tabasco Sauce @ $6,155 and Chanel No 5 @ $1,666,560 they could afford all the gas they need. Either that or, if they can afford Coca Cola @ $126, Milk @ $163, Perrier Water @ $300, Budweiser @ $447, Starbucks Latte @ $954, Ben & Jerry's @ $1,609, Tabasco Sauce @ $6,155 and Chanel No 5 @ $1,666,560, they do not NEED to worry about the cost of buying all the gas they need. What did YOU think he meant?

Reply to
Mike hunt

Perhaps, but if one considers what it COSTS the producer to produce all of those products and how much they pay in taxes and how much YOU pay in taxes when you buy those products, one might feel differently about the oil companies ;)

For instance I can buy water from my municipality for $1.85 a thousand gallons. I would never even consider buying water by the 20 OZ bottle for $2

Reply to
Mike hunt

How often have we heard from the environuts that we should switch to ethanol or bio-fuels etc? Where in the hell will we get enough ethanol or bio-fuels to replace the 400,000,000 gallons of gasoline we use every day in the US?

It is time to drill our own oil until we can answer that question. The fact is the Dims believe what the environuts believe and they both WANT us to pay $4 or MORE a gallon to make us believe what they believe. The only concern Obama has expressed is that the price went up too fast, not tat it is going up. He is apposed to drilling of shore and wants to tax the oil companies to make ethanol or bio-fuels. That will only make the price of gas and food go up even more.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Well, if you stopped drinking, then we would be 1/2 way there.

We should be using waste oil (like used fryer grease) and such whenever possible and do more to conserve energy, like recycle more aluminum cans. However, ethanol is not worth it, because it takes too much energy to make. Plus, corn has other uses, like food.

Obama is, IMHO, correct on that. We need to maintain the environment, as well. Plus, we should not be so nearsighted that we use up all the reserves. We should save some for future generations.

I also agree that the problem is that the prices rose too fast. However, nothing drives conservation like high prices.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Of course, we are all environmentalist in that we do not want to "$#it" were we "eat," the environuts on the other hand do not want us to "eat" so we do not need to deal with the "$#it."

What ever is going to replace gasoline is not yet, or even close to being, available in the amount needed. Until it is, we MUST drill our own oil or we MUST import that which we can not produce. The ONLY option is a factoring economy and if the US goes down so will the rest of the world. The fact is there is more oil leaking naturally out of the ground than has ever leaked out of any of the hundreds of thousand of oil wells in water around the world. thousands of our wells in the Gulf were damage during Katarina but not ONE leaked oil into the Gulf, Many of those wells in the Gulf near the end of the area where drilling is permitted, could be producing NEW oil in a year with the new slant drilling technology in use today.

There are TWO things that can take us away from the need to import. Diesel vehicles that are already in the pipe line that can be run on our own diesel fuel made for our own 250 year supply of clean burning coal and nuclear power for plug in electric cars. The environuts are apposed to both and so is Obama. We need a change but not one that is worse, that will kill our economy.

If one owns a diesel powered vehicle and buy a cleaning system for around $5,000 they can use McDonalds' waist oil but the environuts will soon be screaming about the McDonalds' of the world for killing people with heart attacks just to get enough to replace 2% of the 400,000,00 gallons of gas we use daily. By the way make sure you pay the fed and yours states the road use taxes on that waist fuel or you will go to jail

Reply to
Mike hunt

Of course, neither is consumed like oil and assuming it is fair for anyone to be forced to forgo the good things in life just to make the oil pimps happy is something out of a neo-conservative exxon stockholder's story book.

Reply to
Dont Taze Me, Bro!

So are you going to support nuclear energy like France, Japan, and most of Western Europe? France gets about 80% of its electricity from nuclear, and is building new plants frequently.

Reply to
Mark A

Yes, must be those neocons at CNBC who published the list.

You get very emotional when someone publishes facts.

Reply to
Mark A

I don't know about Tabasco sauce, but Ben and Jerry's has enough butterfat that I bet you could run an engine off it.

Reply to
Mark A

I'd be for nuclear energy if: only safe plants - not older, verging on decrepit ones which barely meet safety standards - were on-line, & the storage of the waste problem could be solved in a way which everyone could accept.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.