Pure One or Mobile 1 Oil Filter -- Which?

There are websites that Pure One oil filters as the best. Mobil 1 filter are also considered good, but they cost twice as much as Pure One.

Assuming they cost the same which would you choose?

Reply to
jim evans

Wix.

Then Hastings.

Never Fram.

Reply to
Anumber1

True dat, especially the last. But I wouldn't drive out of my way to get a Wix if I could get a Pure One close by, they are supposed to be decent. If you're really hard core, you're mail-ordering CMs anyway.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

We install about 750-800 oil filters a year, and PurOne by far has worked the best for a wide range of customers. I wouldn't put a Fram on a lawnmower.....

Reply to
Doc Humphreys

What does "worked the best" mean? How does one filter work better for a customer then some other filter? Are some of the quieter or ??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I am not a fan of Purolator filter. They always leak a little around the gasket. Never had that problem with Fram.

Reply to
Bob Jones

I never had any problems with a Fram, but have stopped using them because of their poor reputation.

Reply to
HLS

I prefer a good filter with a bad reputation over a bad one with a good reputation.

Reply to
Bob Jones

I forgot to mention Affinia as a producer of a descent filter.

I pretty much have been running them on them on the 9 cars (or so) in my extended family that I service, and have been for more than a decade with no issues. Some of these "chariots" are well over 250k miles and see rather neglectful service intervals (with 9 BILs, SILs, various Nephews and such, I really don't try to drum up more oil changes and shit to do on Saturdays). I just changed the oil and belts and rebuilt the alternator on an idiot nephew's '95 S-10 blazer that went about 8500 miles with "nothing special" oil (Havoline by my nearly year old sticker from last time). It didn't seem to have suffered and is not burning excessive amounts (shrug).

These filters are commonly, (or otherwise) known as a NAPA Silver, CarQuest, Auto-Value or Parts-Master branded filters and a usually as cheap or cheaper than a Purolator.

Locally, Wally-World, Meijer and pretty much anyplace that is not a FLAPS carry nothing but Fram.

I tend to run NAPA Gold (Wix) or an Affinia on my own vehicles as well as synthetic (Mobil 1). I don't really push the service intervals however and change oil at or about 4k miles on my stuff anyway. My '90 Plymouth Lazer (turbo charged) gets serviced sooner just because and I currently have 250k on the original everything (turbo, motor and such).

Al

Reply to
Anumber1

This whole argument is like PC vs MAC. Fram sucks, but everybody has them, so they can't be that bad right. They lock up, get viruses, can't run any software, MS included, and they have never been able to multitask, but they are cheap and they market well. Plus next year Windows will be even better. Meanwhile MAC guys have never even heard of the term Control Alt Delete or whatever it is because it doesn't exist on a MAC. The only time you reboot is to load software updates. If the world were full of smart people, everyone would have a MAC and never use Fram filters. Unfortunately, in the real world, marketing is King and somehow Obama got elected.

Reply to
audette_j

The reason MAC users so rarely need to "reboot" is because they are always turning their computers off. My PC may run for weeks between boots. Most MAC users I've seen turn them on and off many times per day to be "green".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I just typed "uptime" on my desktop mac and it came back at over 90 days. My *laptop* (from which I type this) has been up over 20 days.

So much for THAT argument...

Reply to
Steve

the exception proves the rule.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Not.

Its a ridiculous ASSumption- almost as ridiculous as the saying "the exception proves the rule," which makes no sense no matter how you parse it. I don't know anyone who shuts their computer off several times per day. Except my 80-year old parents, who can't be convinced that leaving it on doesn't "wear it out."

Reply to
Steve