The Yaris a year later..

Well, it has been one year since we bought the Yaris. It still handles well. No real issues with it at all. The only thing I tend to notice is the front tires seem to wear down quicker than the back tires. That could be because I break rather quickly sometimes due to the trafic of where I live.

Reply to
Dont Taze Me, Bro!

Thanks for the report, that is good information for someone looking to buy a Yaris.

As for the tires, the front tires always wear out first in a front wheel drive car. The front tires do 90% of the work. All the rear tires do is hold up the back end (the lighter of the two ends) and do about 25% of the braking. The front tires do most of the braking, all of the propulsion and hold up about 70% of the car's weight.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

No need to wear out front tires, just drive in reverse.

Reply to
ransley

Increase the tire pressure by about 5 PSI over the recommended cold tire inflation pressure listed for your car. Tire life should improve (assuming that the vehicle is properly aligned), along with fuel economy,

Reply to
Ray O

"ransley" Well, it has been one year since we bought the Yaris. It still handles

No need to wear out front tires, just drive in reverse.

********

LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Dont Taze Me, Bro!" ...

Yep, you can expect the fronts to wear faster. I have never bought 4 tires at the same time on a front wheel drive vehicle. I always put the new ones on the front and keep the best axle's remaining tires on the rear to just roll on. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Should I have the fronts rotated to the back and the backs rotated to the fronts?

Reply to
Dont Taze Me, Bro!

Yes, if you want to even out the wear between the front and rear tires. Your owner's manual should specify the rotation interval.

Reply to
Ray O

I know in general it would make sense to put the new pair on the front, and keep the old ones on the back. But actually, when it comes down to the handling of the car, it's better to use the new ones on the back, and the old ones on front. If you had periods of a loss of traction, a front wheel drive car gets much more squirrelly and prone to spin if the new ones are on the front, vs the rear. Due to under/over steer characteristics... This has been proven on police test courses btw, it's not something I just made up. I just read about it recently in fact.. Before I read that, I would also tend to slap the new ones on front. But now I might not.. I usually prefer to buy a whole set at a time unless the other pair really have a good bit of life left.

Reply to
nm5k

Some of these 'studies' and 'tests' are a bit misleading. If you are testing the car on clean dry pavement then bald tires will give the most adhesion. However if you test on damp or wet pavement then tires with tread will work the best.

A lot of these tests are conducted at the limits of the vehicle and you probably don't drive you car that way. Ask yourself if you have problems with handling / performance and then ask if it could be the tires or if it's just the way the car is designed.

I wouldn't worry about which axle you put the new tires on as long as they are quality tires and not some off-name discount tire.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Well, if you were losing traction, I would say that's approaching the limits of the vehicle. :/ This pertains mostly to wet roads when hydroplaning. I looked at the site that gave that info, and it was actually at tires.com., and the testing was done at the Michelin proving grounds, not a police course.

my corolla, I've never lost traction when dry. But I've hydroplanedwhen wet one time already since I've had it. The car didn't spin oranything that time.. Sure felt weird though..It's probably not too big a deal as long as both pairs have legaltread depth, but in their testing, they seemed to notice thedifference in handling.

Reply to
nm5k

"Yep, you can expect the fronts to wear faster. I have never bought 4 tires at the same time on a front wheel drive vehicle. I always put the new ones on the front and keep the best axle's remaining tires on the rear to just roll on." Tomes ==============

If you were rotating your tires properly you wouldn't be saying this..And you could buy your tires in one shot instead of being a PITA for the service writer...

Reply to
in2-dadark