Which maintenance interval should I follow for 2004 Toyota Matrix

I am a relatively low mileage driver - only 800 miles/year. If so, should I really follow the time interval? Is there a real need for this? Or, should I follow the mileage interval?

Reply to
morpheus777

Sell your car and get a bicycle......

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I'd have to agree with that one.

How about a good pair of shoes? Or maybe a rental car when you need it?

Reply to
Bonehenge

Yeah...or find an independent taxi owner. For regular customers, they'll sometimes show up on time like private drivers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'll assume you are serious about mileage and need for a car.

I'd suggest that about once a month (if you are able) to take the car for a good 30 or so mile drive, preferably more.

I'm with Hach, you are going to go thru exhaust parts.

Reply to
Ron

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com who stated:

Whenever you start an internal combustion engine, it makes nasty combustion byproducts that contaminate the oil. Even when the vehicle isn't being used, those byproducts are doing damage to the engine. Therefore, it's a good idea to change oil based on time, not just on mileage.

I have a couple of classic motorcycles that go about the same distance per year. What I do, and it seems to make the motorcycles happy, is to change the oil twice a year regardless of miles. I think your car would do well with the same treatment . . . .

-Don

-- I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Reply to
Don Fearn

I'd change it every 3-4 months. If the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off the moisture then acid forms more easily. And that's bad news for the metals.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Note that the manufacturer's maintenance guide says to perform a particular maintenance item or items at X,XXX miles or Y months, whichever comes first. If the time interval comes first, then follow the time interval. If the mileage interval comes first, then follow the mileage interval, especially while the vehicle is under warranty. To answer your previous question, follow the more severe maintenance schedule.

Reply to
Ray O

That's 8000 miles over 10 years for a car that probably cost 15K new. In other words, 10 year cost is about $1500 (plus gas and oil) for 800 miles. Property tax too, in many states, and certainly insurance.

That's over $2 per mile. What does the average taxi charge per mile? What's the average rental per day?

If you do those 800 miles in big chunks, the rental car is the best idea. If you take them in little hops then take a cab.

Either way, owning a car is a poor economy for you.

Reply to
Pete Moss

For my area:

2004 Matrix Base model, only Standard Equipment included, 2400 miles (three years at 800 per year):

Excellent $12,765 Good $12,005 Fair $10,980

This is Suggested Retail from a dealer:

Condition Value Excellent $14,315

This is the MSRP:

The base Matrix ($14,670) comes standard with a five-speed manual transmission and plenty of features, including air conditioning and an AM/FM radio with CD player. (Destination fee of $485 is not included in these manufacturer's suggested retail prices.) A Power Package ($480) adds power windows, power door locks, and remote keyless entry.

$2000 over 2 years is nothing. It would have cost more than that to take taxis...

Reply to
Hachiroku