Will I have to replace my wholcooling system?

Not sure if I'm low om freon or my cooling is on the fritz. When I turn it on it blows some cool air for about 30 second and then the AC light starts to blink. Turning it off and on doesn't help. And at this point there's no cooling any longer, just hot air blowing. I've been low on freon before but I never had AC light blinking. Any ideas, folks? Camry 95

Reply to
ike

It is probably low on refrigerant. You need to find out where it is leaking, and probably get the leak fixed and then refill the refrigerant.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'd agree with the above, but caution the poster about the amount of 134 he uses to replenish the a./c system. I once put in too much on the theory that if some is good, more is better, but I overloaded it and made the compressor jam up.....horrors! But as soon as I evacuated some of the 134 by pushing on the "tire" valve, the compressor started once again and caused no further problem. So go easy when you add 134 to the system.

Reply to
mack

The last time the refrigerant was low, did you use a do-it-yourself can? If so, how many cans did you add? did you ad R-12 or R134-A? The proper refrigerant for your car is R134-A.

As a quick check of your refrigerant level, open the hood and locate the sight glass in front of the AC condenser. Before you start the car, check the condition of the AC compressor drive belt. Make sure the belt is not glazed, cracked, or loose. Start the car, turn on the AC, and look at the sight glass. If you see white foam flowing past, then the system is low on refrigerant. If it looks like clear water flowing past, then the refrigerant level is probably OK.

The flashing AC light means that the AC computer has detected a difference in RPM between the engine and the compressor and has disengaged the clutch to prevent damage to the compressor, and the most common cause is belt slippage.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, you need to find out the reason for the difference in compressor and engine RPMs. Low freon would just cut the AC and no blinking light I think, am I right?

It may be the belt slipping, obstruction in the system, the clutch air gap too wide (clutch brake material wears), or the compressor is getting hard to turn (leak = ow freon = low oil = wear and tear).

BTW, 93-94 Camrys had recalls on AC systems corrosion and bad expansion valves.

Reply to
johngdole

I did this also and it messed up the system because the gauge was so far off.

Reply to
Mike Dobony