Your Toyota just got worth more

From the LA Times: Sales of smaller fuel efficient cars was up for the last quarter, with peope abandoning 6 cyl enginef for fours.

For my 1995 Tercel 2dr DX, here's the KBB, Private party value:

Condition Value Excellent $2,600 Good $2,235 Fair $1,835

When I sold it in 2005 with 125,000 miles on it, it was valused at $2425, Good condition. I guessed the girl I sold it to doesn't drive much, so this computation is for a Good condition car with 175,000 miles on it.

I'd say a loss of $200 for 2 years for a 12 YO small car is not too bad, all in all...

My Supra did even better:

Condition Value Excellent $4,140

Last time I did it was with 165,000 miles, and the value was $3425. This time is with 200,000 miles, and two years older.

Reply to
Hachiroku

What was it Barnum said about one being born every minute? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I suspect the valuation of older cars is very variable. Not many are around to change hands so one out of wack sale can affect book prices dramatically either way.

Reply to
Art

Anyway, the Kelley Blue Book is usually overpriced when it comes to retail and underpriced when it's to the dealer's advantage. I've seen examples of 'retail' values for cars that if a dealer asked that price for even a cherry used car, the customers would laugh themselves silly. In fact, some salesman will drag out the KBB to show customers the true value....as in "Look here! this car is valued at $12,300 according to KBB, and our price is only $10, 995! Think of the money you're saving!"

Reply to
mack

What year is it?

I rented a black '87, with targa top, when the rental company ran out of mid-sizes and upgraded me to an "exotic", on a Virginia business trip in '87. GREAT CAR!

My wife had an '84 300ZX w/ leather and t-tops when we met, but she blew it up with no oil before it became "mine".

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

'88. GREAT CAR (um, for a 19 year old...)

and you *still* married her?!?!?! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

That car was a blast.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

HAHAHA! Did I ever mention I used to sell used cars? ;)

How about a 2005 Scion tC?

Condition Value Excellent $19,200

They sell for less than that NEW! (I think...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

And, I had to laugh at this one from KBB's site:

Compare Similar Vehicles

2007 Scion tC Photos Review Pricing 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Photos Review Pricing

Right...Cobalt and Scion as "similar vehicles"?

(I will *never* admit I was considering a Cobalt when I bought the Scion, so don't ask...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I guess it depends on which 'book' and which 'value' in that book. The only book that actually records the actual prices, at which vehicles are actually being traded and sold retail, at new car dealerships is the NADA Guide, period

One Toyota dealer is advertising that they need more used Toyotas because of the 'growing demand.' To get your Toyota in trade, they are offering '110% to 130% ABOVE book value' for trades on any new Toyota IN STOCK.

When one reads the fine print it is 110% to 130% over average 'loan value.' That sets the real value of your trade at below 'wholesale' and then only if it traded on a car with a $2,900 smoke and mirrors package that is added to every vehicle on the lot LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter