01 Camry - Intermittent Stalling

I have a strange and frustrating story...

About 3 months ago my 2001 Camry CE stalled without warning. I was driving in a parking lot and it just died. I only realized the engine had quit when I lost power steering...all of the electrical systems were still operational. I tried restarting the car 5 or 6 times and had no luck. So I had the car towed to the dealer. When the got a chance to look at it a few hours later, it started right up again. There were no error codes stored in the computer so we all thought it was a fluke.

Well, a week or two later it happened again. Only this time I was driving at 50 MPH in rush hour traffic. This time the check engine light came on. So off to the dealer again. The computer reported that

2 of the ignition coils needed to be replaced and I had them do that. I thought everything was fine then.

Last week, almost a month later than the last failure, it happened again. I had the car towed back to Toyota and they can't find any problems. They keep telling me that they can't duplicate the error and tell me to bring it back when it fails again. This is the same thing they have told me every other time. They seem to be unwilling or unable to attempt advanced troubleshooting other than plugging in the computer and box swapping. They have given me no other help than we could not duplicate the error.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford an unreliable car, but I can't afford another car payment either...sigh...

I already asked about cleaning the coil cap, but this model has a coil pack that it completely sealed.

Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Is it possible that something obstructs the fuel supply? Try to open one sparkplug if there is any fume of fuel when you cranking.

Reply to
canoe2