1985 CAMRY TIMING

Hi There,

I have a 1995 CAMRY 2.2 Litre. 16V I have had it from new and its just reached 102.000 miles.

No real problems and it starts on the key every time. It is I admit a little flat in performance than I remember. But still smooth and quite quiet when idling. Consumption seems still satisfactory. Plugs-Oils-filters have all been changed within recommended times. These I can perform myself with no problems.

The Timing belt was changed at 65k miles. So the engine has not had its timing checked since then.

My question is, is it worth booking it in to TOYOTA just to have the timing checked. Toyota will charge maybe £70 or so. Is it likely to need this or am I just about to waste some cash.

Its a keeper from my point of view now..

Cheers Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Is it an 85 or 95. I dont know about what system was employed on 95s but my 02 Volvo you cant adjust timing. On my 91 camry when it had an old belt with 70000 miles power dropped and mpg by 4 mpg. I took it in and it was Retarded 3-4 degrees, when I left the shop it snapped to life and mpg went up 3-4 mpg. Checking timing is real easy and not woth 70l or 70 dollars, Toyota dealers overcharge for this stuff 2-3x, timing lights are cheap to buy but yes you dont know if it was ever set right, for milage maybe the 02 sensor is bad, have you changes the transfer case oil, I went Mobil synthetic in trans, transfer case and

5-30 mobil 1 in all and got a noticable improvement in performance, belts do stretch so check it.
Reply to
ransley

Is it an 85 or 95. I dont know about what system was employed on 95s but my 02 Volvo you cant adjust timing. On my 91 camry when it had an old belt with 70000 miles power dropped and mpg by 4 mpg. I took it in and it was Retarded 3-4 degrees, when I left the shop it snapped to life and mpg went up 3-4 mpg. Checking timing is real easy and not woth 70l or 70 dollars, Toyota dealers overcharge for this stuff 2-3x, timing lights are cheap to buy but yes you dont know if it was ever set right, for milage maybe the 02 sensor is bad, have you changes the transfer case oil, I went Mobil synthetic in trans, transfer case and

5-30 mobil 1 in all and got a noticable improvement in performance, belts do stretch so check it.

Hi there,

Yes its a 1995.

I have done timing in my younger days lol. But don't have a strobe around now. Most seem to be neon guns that are not very bright I seem to remember. Yes all oils are changed in due times Engine/gearbox/diff. Its probebly like me. Just showing its age lol.

But I will look further into picking up a strobe. I only do about 5k miles a year now. Fuel is to expensive just to run around now. its Circa US$8.5 a gallon. So close on US$130 to fill the tank. tks

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

130$ , wow, its 2.85 a gallon for me, so for 15 gallons its about 44$
Reply to
ransley