1989 Camry V6 needs to push Shift Override?! Why? How to Fix?

Early this year, one day, my Camry's automatic shifter wouldn't budge from Park to Drive until I pressed the Shift Override button. It was a pain in the butt when I needed to make quick starts and manuevers in a parking lot but I got used to it.

Then, over a month ago, after I took it on the freeway one day (I use it for local driving usually) and floored the accerlerator, the shifter somehow fixed itself. I no longer needed to push Shift Override to shift from Park to Drive. I was a happy camper.

Last, week, I was pumping the accerlerator a couple time to test the Camry's accerleration, and then I noticed that when I needed to shift from Park to Drive, I had to push the Shift Override button again! @*@%%!

Do I have loose wires or flaky sensors? I'm hoping I can personally fix it myself since it's an older car but I only have a Haynes Camry manual as the only source of my Camry and Car knowledge and it doesn't have a section on fixing the Shift Override problem.

Reply to
tttttttt

Check to make sure you brake lights work when this goes on. The safety switch that lets the shifter out of park uses the brake pedal switch (right around the brake pedal) to know when your foot is on the brake. If the switch is inop, the system doesn't know you are pressing the brake, and your brake lights will not come on.

Reply to
qslim

Yes, my brake lights do not work. Yikes!

So, how come my switch worked for all these years, didn't work at the beginning of the year, worked for the last 2 months or so, and now doesn't work again?

Do you have a diagram of the switch or part number?

Reply to
tttttttt

It's just a normal open-button switch, pretty cheap, and I imagine most dealers should stock them. You should be able to do it if you have a basic tool set. I think that one sits in a bracket on the front side of the brake pedal arm, about halfway up, and is fastened in with a 10 or 12mm bolt. Try unplugging it when the system is failing and see if there is power at the connector.

Reply to
qslim

It's just a normal open-button switch, pretty cheap, and I imagine most dealers should stock them. You should be able to do it if you have a basic tool set. I think that one sits in a bracket on the front side of the brake pedal arm, about halfway up, and is fastened in with a 10 or 12mm bolt. Try unplugging it when the system is failing and see if there is power at the connector.

Reply to
qslim

Hi,

I hve 2 1989 camry's. I jsut bought my second and I also have that problem. ON my other Camry the shift lock was only corrected when I replaced the switch for the brake pedal. Do your brake lights work? If so and yo are still getting this problem let me know.Otherwise replace the switch for the brake pedal and see if that corrects the problem.

Good luck

Reply to
smedlap