92 Camry shift lock problem

92 Camry V6, everytime when the automatic gear shifted to Park position, is locked in and the only way to get it out of it is to press the shift lock override button. How should I fix it?
Reply to
unkown

I had a 92 4 banger and this problem happened twice to me, the override button worked only sometimes. I eventually had to get a new shifter, somthing i guess happens to them.

Reply to
shatara

Thanks for taking your time to response. Do you mind to tell me how much (in cdn $ or us $) did it cost to replace a new shifter?

Reply to
unkown

Well the car was giving to me by my father and he had purchased an extended warranty for the car it didnt cost me a dime to fix it sorry I cant give you a $ value.

Reply to
shatara

Old Brown (90) had a similar problem. It turned out to be the switch which is activated by the brake pedal. It wore out and had to be replaced ($125.00 @ Toyota). I lived with the problem for a while until I realized that this switch also controls the brake lights!

BTW: It can be replaced without disassembling the dash (not very easily according to the dealer).

Reply to
kevin

I took the car to Toyota and it turn out it was the rear brake and the license plate light bulbs were burnt that cause the gear shift locked. Had to pay $55 just to replace the bulbs and the minimum half hour service charge! Thanks for everyone's help.

Reply to
unkown