1990 Camry Alternator - Amp question, and should I just replace the brushes?

I am confused about which alternator to get to replace the one I have in my V6 Wagon: 70amp or 80amp.

Or should I just replace the brushes in the one I have -- is it real easy to do that?

Reply to
abbottim

Provided the case and mounting points are the same. the 80Amp will be fine. My handbook inidcates the alt is 70A for my '96 manual or automatic trans. The fact that an alternator is capable of higher current does not effect the car in any way,..it's actually a good thing for you will have extra amperage available if needed: eg after a lengthy discharge of the battery.

Apart from the ball-bearings, the slip=rings and the brushes are the other parts that can wear out. Even then the bearings will go for a long time once they start to get a little noisy. The brushe-length canbe measured by removing the regulator black module on the alt rear panel.While they are out, use a torch to look inside at the two brass slip rings. They should be fairly smooth with no evidence of burning or heavy scoring (wear) Remove and replace the reg/brush assembley with care making sure you slide the bottom edge of the reg/brush assembley in first by tilting the assembley,..then rock the top edge downwards to align the screw-holes. There will be some resistance s the brushes contact their slip-rings on the rotor.

Other damage: there are 6 power-diodes and 3 auxiliary diodes in alternators which can fail. This is usually manifest by poor charging of battery and a battery-warning light.

The length of the two carbon brushe should be greater than 2/10s of an inch,..personanlly I replace them at 1/4 inch.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If that's the original alternator, just try replacing the brushes first

Reply to
Daniel

I'd pull it and take it to a parts store that can test it. You may find the brushes if you live in a city that has an alternator/starter store. Some can be tricky to reassemble. It just depends on your skill. I probably could do it, but I'd just get it rebuilt.

Reply to
Alex

Many rebuilt alternators are junk. Had a rebuilt generator once, must have replaced it fifteen times under the "lifetime warranty", then finally bought a factory part and never had another problem. Toyota part number "27370-35060", is for the brushes and holder, retail is about $16 - just double check part number for your year.

Reply to
Daniel

Me too. Many rebuilt failures, but never 15. Did have 5 on a Chevy Pickup once. I get the best price at the auto parts store, and best reliability at a neighborhood starter guy.

Reply to
Alex

Agree on the mass market "rebuilt" ones with lifetime warrarnty being junk - unless you like being stranded and replacing the alternator several times! Unless old one is completely toast try to rebuild it --- same with the starter motor.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I had a "reconditioned" starter once,..it failed shortly later. I found it had a fractured solder-joint around a winding connection. If I had to guess I'd say a lot of intermittants in alternators and starters are this kind of fault caused thru vibration and possibly heat in service prior.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James