1990 Camry check engine light comes on

Check engine light comes on only sometimes. When it does, the car acts like it isn't getting gas, then it gets right again. Once in a while it stalls, ans if I let it be, it will start and go just fine. Can't afford a diagnostic machine at the moment, Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Reply to
Joan McCrackin via CarKB.com

Because your car is 1990 it is OBD I. Usually there is a small plastic box with a cover somewhere under the hood. When you open the cover you see female wire connections with a diagram of the connectors on the inside of the cover. What you need to do is use a paper clip with the ends sharpened. Connect the Te1 connector to E1. This connects test connector T to E1, which is earth1, a british equivalent of Ground1. Then turn the key to run, don't turn to start. And the check engine light should blink out the code. Usually the tens digit will flash first, then the ones digit. The tens digit will flash slower, then the ones digit will flash faster. So lets say you see 3 slow flashes followed by 5 fast flashes, this means code 35. After the

35 flashes, then any other codes will flash then this will repeat indefinitely. Get a paper and pencil and write down codes, after a few repeats on the codes you will be sure what numbers they are. Then turn off ignition and pull out paper clip. Now go on the internet and do a google search on the codes you have retrieved. Don't forget to put the year of your car since codes sometimes change from model year to model year and type also. Good luck.
Reply to
edmechanic

Jump terminals Tc and E1 in the diag connector under the hood, then turn the ignition on and tell us what sequence the light flashes in.

Qslim