1990 Camry Engine Problems

My 1990 Camry has had a problem with power the last few months. A couple of weeks ago the vacuum hose which connects the EGR valve with the EGR Modulator blew right off. I've tried to replace the EGR as well as the modulator but it hasn't helped at all. It seems as though there's too much pressure and it's blowing off the hose at higher rpm. I've tested the BSVS valves and they seem fine. Other symptoms include no acceleration when I floor the vehicle. It actually seems to accelerate when I lay off the gas rather than step on it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Sprung

The lack of power symptom coupled with the high-pressure within the EGR-vac control, seems to point to too much exhaust gas being fed into the intake which effectively leans-out the mixture causing loss of power and causing the intake EGR vacuum-line to blow off!!!

I would be checking the EGR metering or the device which determines how much exhaust is allowed to be fed to the intake. Not sure about the engine in your '90 Camry, but other EGR systems for example, use a vac controlled poppet-valve. If the valve is stuck open or burnt (not sealing properly when shut), then uncontrolled amounts of exhaust fed back into the intake will occur. Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I just put on a new EGR vavle. The type of valve is vacuum controlled and the control point is fine. This type of valve also has two ports. One which feeds to the EGR modulator constantly and the other which feeds exhaust back in to the intake when sufficient vacuum is applied. I've tested the EGR valve itself with suction and it's operating correctly. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this type of problem before.

Reply to
Tom Sprung