1990 camry, stiff steering

Hey all,

Have a 1990 toyota camry and recently my steering became stiff. Air pressure is fine and fluid seems topped off. It seemed to have started after a very cold morning when the wheel was very hard to turn at the beginning of the drive. I had to force it to make a turn pretty hard. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with it. Could a clogged tube be the culprit and flushing be the answer? Is it easy to do? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
ED EDIT68

I had a similar problem and they back flushed the system in some fashion. I think it was the lines from the pump back up to the reservoir which has a strainer in it. They said it was commonly needed at this age and that all kinds of gunk came out. It still took a few days for things to totally clear up.

Doug

-- Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format film:

pressure

very

this

flushing

Reply to
-

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com, ED EDIT68 being of bellicose mind posted:

Is the pump belt TIGHT?

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Thanks guys,

Not sure how to check that belt or where it is, but I'll try it and the fluid does look old so I'll try flushing it out. I'm wondering if that is something I can do myself though. Thanks for responses

Reply to
ED EDIT68