1992 Camry 4 cly CE Stick Shift

19*92 Toyota Camry 4 door CE 5 Speed, 145k Japan Model.

I have a vibration problem in the 65-80 MPH range, and it's not always there, but usually is. It happens upon Acceleration, and Deceleration. Sometimes it's pretty bad, and other times its just a little. I can feel it in my seat, beneath my feet, and in the steering wheel, but not in the stick shift for the tranny. I have had my tires replaced, alignment, tires balanced again, CV Axles replaced, Engine Mounts, transmission mounts, Struts, springs, and the clutch along with pressure plate and throwout bearing.. I'm at the verge of giving up.. I have no idea what it could be now.. Any suggestions?? Please help..

Reply to
Jason

Replace the tires, two at a time. You can hit a curb or a pothole and actually bend the internal steel belts. The tire will look OK, but strange vibrations will result. I encounter this effect about every 10 years.

Jas> 19*92 Toyota Camry 4 door CE 5 Speed, 145k Japan Model.

Reply to
Stubby

Jason wrote:

Next step, check the ball joints. Toyota shows this as a standard maintenance procedure - lift the car, place wood blocks, lower to half height and apply a pry bar over a rag from the wheel to the underside of the ball joint. Any motion at all calls for replacement.

Had the same problem at 120,000 miles. It was present on acceleration but absent on coast. It was a combination of worn lower ball joints and a bad CV joint on the passenger side. Under power the drive shaft would move off center and cause a vibration. The loose ball joints would let the entire suspension vibrate. Felt like the entire engine was coming out. I at first thought that it was bad motor mounts. Take it to a good mechanic and tell him my story. =========================== Here's another possibility - but mostly in the nature of a guess, because you say you're getting the vibration on deceleration also -- if you used aftermarket axles it is possible they were not perfectly balanced. Toyota sells a remanufactured unit at reaasonable cost. ================= One final thought. Don't overlook the lower suspension control arms. I recently replaced the ball joints due to movement detected under test. When levering the control arm down with a pry bar to create clearance for the new ball joints, I noticed a new tear in the rear bushing. Haynes says "if cracked or torn replace" so I replaced both sides. When removed I could see the inner section of both left and right rear bushings was split completely through. You could not see this when they were installed, so cracking on the visible part of the bushing may indicate additional hidden wear. Seems to me that rear bushing controls movement under acceleration and deceleration - since that's where you're experiencing vibration, but not through the engine/ transmission, that's why I mention it. Caution: If you attempt this repair yourself those bolts are very, very tight.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
Jason