recommended oils?

Hi all,

Re: dino oil, I remember a mechanic told me that Castrol and Valvoline are good oils, and to stay away from the Chevron and Shell brands.

Any thoughts on what oil brands are recommended, and what to avoid?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Clay

FYI...I have a 91 Camry, 2.5 L V6 - 188,000 + miles. All on Mobile 1. Never an engine problem. One wheel bearing and two CV Joints, that is all except tires and batteries. I vote for Mobile 1.

Reply to
HP

Valvoline for conventional oil, 3,000 mile interval Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil is generally conceded to be the best, readily available consumer oil on the market, 5,000 mile interval I would avoild whatever Jiffy Lube buys in bulk, because they get the cheapest oil possible However, the main point is to change the oil regularly. Any oil that meets the API standards and is changed on a regular schedule meets the requirement The other suggestions are going above and beyond the minimum requirement

Reply to
Daniel

Also QuakerState and PennsOil are goo --- avoid Havoline (leaves a waxy residue)

Reply to
Wolfgang

Did you mean to say QuakerState and PennsOil are "good" or are literally "goo" ;-) ?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

gooey and good!

Reply to
Wolfgang

I used Havoline and Chevron/Exxon in my Honda Accord (1992) and had 295K miles on it when I sold it. Never had to add oil between 3000 mile changes. So I don't know what is better, but I know that these "Cheap" name brands are certainly good enough to get the job done.

Personally, on my Camry, I am going with Mobil 5000 mile (conventional-synthetic blend) and plan to use Toyota filters and change every 5000 miles. In about 15 years, I can give you a first hand report.

David

Reply to
David N. Makinson

Pennzoil and Quaker State are of the same ownership, I believe. My observation is that both of them cause premature dirtiness and varnish formation in the engine, and I stopped using them.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are not good m.h.t. lubrication, etc. nor are my observations necessarily incontrovertible.

I now use Castrol or Valvoline.

Synthetics such as Mobil 1 are probably quite good as well, but I do not intend to pay that kind of price for an oil I will change at 3,000 miles anyway.

You probably dont find any really substandard oils nowadays- at least, not if they are SAE certified.

Reply to
<HLS