recommended oils?

Hi all,
Re: dino oil, I remember a mechanic told me that Castrol and Valvoline are good oils, and to stay away from the Chevron and Shell brands.
Any thoughts on what oil brands are recommended, and what to avoid?
Thanks,
Michael
The mechanic told you the truth. IMHO. You may want to look at a good synthetic such as Royal Purple or Mobil 1.. What ever oil you choose, make sure you change it on a regular schedule as recommended by the manufaturer. I like to use the Toyota oil filters. For the synthetic oil I like the Mobil 1 synthetic oil filters. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

FYI...I have a 91 Camry, 2.5 L V6 - 188,000 + miles. All on Mobile 1. Never an engine problem. One wheel bearing and two CV Joints, that is all except tires and batteries. I vote for Mobile 1.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

===============Valvoline for conventional oil, 3,000 mile interval Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil is generally conceded to be the best, readily available consumer oil on the market, 5,000 mile interval I would avoild whatever Jiffy Lube buys in bulk, because they get the cheapest oil possible However, the main point is to change the oil regularly. Any oil that meets the API standards and is changed on a regular schedule meets the requirement The other suggestions are going above and beyond the minimum requirement
Also QuakerState and PennsOil are goo --- avoid Havoline (leaves a waxy residue)

Wolfgang wrote:

Did you mean to say QuakerState and PennsOil are "good" or are literally "goo" ;-) ?
Michael
gooey and good!

Pennzoil and Quaker State are of the same ownership, I believe. My observation is that both of them cause premature dirtiness and varnish formation in the engine, and I stopped using them.
That doesn't necessarily mean they are not good m.h.t. lubrication, etc. nor are my observations necessarily incontrovertible.
I now use Castrol or Valvoline.
Synthetics such as Mobil 1 are probably quite good as well, but I do not intend to pay that kind of price for an oil I will change at 3,000 miles anyway.
You probably dont find any really substandard oils nowadays- at least, not if they are SAE certified.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I used Havoline and Chevron/Exxon in my Honda Accord (1992) and had 295K miles on it when I sold it. Never had to add oil between 3000 mile changes. So I don't know what is better, but I know that these "Cheap" name brands are certainly good enough to get the job done.
Personally, on my Camry, I am going with Mobil 5000 mile (conventional-synthetic blend) and plan to use Toyota filters and change every 5000 miles. In about 15 years, I can give you a first hand report.
David