1992 sloppy driveaxle 'tripod'

My 1992 4cyl AT Camry shakes really hard accelerating through 45-60mph. I can feel it wobble a little at lower speeds, it's more subtle and seems to follow the wheel speed.

I had all new tires put on, didn't help at all. I suspected the engine mounts since the dogbone was shot, so I replaced the front (totally shot), rear (seemed ok), and dogbone. This helped just a little, the shaking is still really bad. There isn't any clicking when I turn, so I had ruled out the CV joints, but I took a peek anyways and replaced the intermediate shaft bearing (blown) but that didn't help.

I did notice that on the driver side that the tripod case, the part at the engine end of the shaft just before the tranny, was really sloppy in the transmission. Putting my hand on the tripod case i can move it

1-2cm in any direction. Is this likely the cause of my problem? It seems strange that parts in the transmission would be able to move so freely.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions, I've run out of possibilities at this point.

Reply to
cooperle

The play you're feeling in the differential side gears is normal. I've got the same thing - without advese effect. When you say the "dogbone" was shot, as was the front engine mount, sounds like you're close to the solution there. The symptoms you're describing would reflect bad engine mounts. Actually Toyota calls the dogbone mount an "engine moving control rod"

- perhaps a clue to its functi> I have a 1993 Camry and it vibrates starting at 50M.P.H. and then it

I have had the same problem for years and finally found the source---worn motor mounts.

Reply to
Daniel

Dan I'm pretty sure he's talking about movement which allows the sliding joint to not just turn, but wobble as there is sideways movement,..or at least that's how I read it.

Side gear slop which is in the rotating plane is normal,..but he said "in any direction". I had a car with a badly worn gearbox- propellor housing bush (in the back of the gearbox where the tailshaft is supported) this gave similar symptoms to that which he describes ie lots of vibration while driving.

I think his driveshaft is either partly withdrawn and thus not fully supported, or its gone on for so long he's chopped the splines out in the diff and axle allowing the sideways movement. He'll have to pull it down and inspect.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James