2000 Camry: AC Only Works on High Setting

I've been happy with my 2000 Toyota Camry for years. The AC and heat had always worked fine till last winter. I noticed the heat wasn't working to full capacity only from the driver's footwell vent. All others were fine. I lived with it and didn't do anything about it.

Today, when I started my car, the AC was on and then it made a low but audible click or thump which sounded like the AC had shut off but I hadn't shut it off. I put my hand to the vent and felt nothing - no breeze at all. So I turned the manual setting switch to Off and restarted it, but again nothing on setting 1, 2, or 3. On the high 4 setting, I did feel some air come out and it was cool (not cold but it is 100 degrees out today). The air is cool if I put the AC on for the footwelll ducts but only on the high setting as well.

I don't know how long the AC on the high setting may last.

Any ideas on what it could be and what a mechanic may charge?

Reply to
toyodriver

Probably the resistor pack for the fan speed is bad. It just controls the speed of the fan. While you don't want to run it, check the heater and see if the fan only works on the high settins also. It is the same fan for both.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Probably the resistor pack for the fan speed is bad. =A0It just controls the

You are correct. I just tried the heat as well as the regular fan and all 3 (w/ AC) only work at all on high setting. Any idea how much this will cost to correct? Or any guess as to likelihood that even the high setting will go out?

Reply to
toyodriver

Probably the resistor pack for the fan speed is bad. It just controls the

As Ralph said in his prior post, the problem is most likely a bad fan speed control resistor pack. It is an inexpensive part (less than $17 from Rock Auto). Here is what is looks like -

Go to this pdf for information on where it is located
(see page AC-64).

The risistor is behind the glove compartment. You remove the glove compartment, an electrical connector, and two screws and the old resistor is out of the car. Probably a 15 minute job.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

.

Hi there, I also have a 2000 Camry and had the same problem last winter. I went to Toyota, got the part and installed it myself. The part was around 50 bucks cdn, if I remember correctly. The fan will always work on high. The resistor is used to lower the amount of power traveling to the fan motor. Its kind like a fancy dimmer switch. However, on high, the resistor is bypassed and electricity is sent directly to the fan motor. At least that's what I was told from Toyota when I had the same problem. The reason they burn out, is because they are installed into the fan intake ductwork to keep them cool, however, when they get too cold, the moist air condenses onto it creating corrosion and eventually failure of the part. Again another piece of information relayed to me from Toyota. Good luck!

Reply to
camryguy