2001 Avalon stop auto Locking of doors?

I would like to stop auto Locking of doors on my 2001 Avalon.

--
Later,

-- Rick --
Check your owners manual. There should be a process in there for selecting various options such as the auto locks.
The owners manual says see the dealer... I was hoping I could do it myself? The dealer wants a lot for doing this.
--
Later,

-- Rick --
You might search this group using www.google.com the groups page. If no one has the answer now the answer may have been posted previously and can be found there.

Here, thanks to Google. Don't know if it will work for the 2001 model, but give it a try and post back with the results.
Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota
Date: 2000/03/12 Subject: Re: Avalon door locks
Richard Freedland wrote:

Avalon
The
Your dealer is a jerk who either doesn't know how to read or is too lazy to once he has all your money.
Toyota P/N RM746U2, Repair Manual for 2000 Toyota Avalon, ($79) page BE-86 says (oh, this is a beaut, haven't tried it myself): (wait, I'm *not* going to type the page, paraphrased)
To disable: - Ignition switch on, open the closed driver's door - Ignition switch off, insert remove key 5 times within 10 seconds. It isn't clear to me if you have to simply remove/insert the key, or if the ignition is to be turned on/off 5 times. It doesn't say what happens if you do it 6 times. It says "On/Off" but you start in the "on" position. But it does say "inserting/removing key" and mentions you count the "unlock warning switch". - Press the unlock side of the door lock switch 5 times within 10 seconds They say about 10 seconds after completing the above the auto lock is disabled. To enable it looks like you do the same thing only hit the lock side of the switch. Paid $230 to Toyota for both volumes of the Repair Manual and one of the "Electrical Wiring Diagram" (300+ pages, color). Provides some entertaining reading. Some sections are obviously written by non-native English speakers. Most are quite clear. The instructions for disabling the auto-lock appear good enough to eventually figure it out. Without those instructions one would never have figured it out.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net

Hey Rick, out of curiosity, how much did your dealer want to perform this operation?
here we go - verbatim from the 01 manual (a) To disable the auto door lock: (1) Enter the vehicle and shut all the doors (2) Insert the key into the ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON position (not ACC) (3) Open the driver's door and keep it open. (4) Turn the key to the LOCK position and remove it from the ignition cylinder. (5) Insert the key into the ignition cylinder and remove it. Repeat this operation three more times. (end this step with the key out of the ignition cylinder) (6)Push the UNLOCK button on the driver's door master switch 5 times within 10 seconds. Wait at least 10 seconds and shut the driver's door. (7) Verify the auto lock operation has been disabled by starting the engine, putting the vehicle into a gear and releasing the brake pedal.
So there you go. Couldn't be more clear, really. Lemee tell you, at any given moment, you will hear at least one tech in the shop I'm at cursing obtuse, poorly written instructions like these. But hey, you can't beat factory instructions, huh?
qslim wrote:

And after you get the doors the way you want them, I'd print out a copy of these instructions and hand them to the owner / most senior manager at the dealer that gave you the quote, along with the comment that next time you'll buy your Toyota from someone else.

will this work for an '02 Camry LE ??
thanks...
I doubt it. There are routine discrepancies in identical models separated by one year, so I would figure that a camry will probably be different. Check your manual. I know for a fact that I have referenced owners manuals to change that option before.

10/4...thanks.
mike.......