2002 ac blinking light problem-beware and help

A while back I reported a problem with my ac not working. The light on the control button would just flash but sometimes I could "trick" it into working by flicking the fan off and on a number of times. I know, that doesn't make any sense. Eventually it stopped working totally so I took the car to the local recommended ac repair shop. They told me the coil was gone in my ac compressor and I would need a new compressor. I went to the dealership and spoke with the tech who does the ac work and described the problem. He wasn't aware of this kind of problem but it sounded to him like the compressor might be bad. So this week I had another compressor put on. Not the problem-ac still doesn't work-dash light still is flashing. Now the repair shop "thinks" it might be electrical. The dealership doesn't have a thought. I'm planning to make an appointment at a local auto electric shop to see if they can trace the problem. I hate to keep throwing good money away. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what I should have checked and a sensible order to follow? It is interesting today that someone posted about a dash light problem on a 2004 Camry in the area of the fan/ac etc.. I have exactly that same problem and in fact I have often thought my ac problem is electical in nature and possibly connected to those very switches somehow. Please take heed and don't jump too quickly at having your compressor replaced-you may not need it. Send me your suggestions please if you have any. Thanks Greg

Reply to
Greg

Sounds like you had someone with no idea of how the system works take a blind shot and throw a part at it. You need to find a competent tech that understands how the system works. May be something as simple as a pressure switch, but it needs to be effectively diagnosed. And the fact that the dealer "doesn't have a thought" is totally unacceptable. If I ever told a customer that I wasn't able to fix their car, I would find myself in the service directors office REAL quick. Maybe a chat with the service manager will ensure that you get your car looked at by someone capable of actually diagnosing the system.

qslim

I did not know compressors had coils, they dont. Your clue your mechanic is a Hack was the dealer. Your Hack should fix it, but it should be free, good luck on this.

Reply to
m Ransley

Well compressors have clutch coils, and I'm sure that is what they were referring to, thinking that the clutch was sporadically engaging due to a weak coil. The connectors on the clutch coil and pressure switches should be checked for corrosion/looseness. Since they replaced the compressor, I assume the problem is elsewhere like at a pressure switch possibly, or it could even be the A/C console switch itself in the car since you said you could 'fool' it by turning the interior fan on/off which to me sounds like the console has a problem. If it turns out to be the console, demand a pro-rated refund for the compressor.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

Thanks for your input everybody. The "situation" worsened today possibly. I called the local auto electric place that was recommended and spoke with the owner. I described the problem and he reluctantly said he would look at it but made it very clear he would not devote much time to it. He was not very positive. He said his shop got out of ac work because of this very kind of problem-hard to solve and easy to frustrate customers over. Please understand in my neck of the woods there are very few ac repair places and you can bet they mostly just recharge systems and fix leaks etc..As I stated previously the tech at the local dealership indicated the problem was one he has not encountered before and he gave no indication that he knows what the problem might be. Someone suggested I speak with the service manager and I've already done that-she had no more info than my hubcaps. She gave me the toyota toll free #. I guess I should call them???????? Anyway warm weather is coming. I hope I have cold ac to go along with it.

Thanks again. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Last year, my 2002 Camry had a similar problem (exact same symptoms, including blinking light and ability to sometimes get the darned thing to work, at least for a while). Properly diagnosed by the dealer as a bad relay, but no one in the area (Indio CA) had one in stock. Later in my trip, after stops at several dealerships, I found one in stock in Visalia, bought it (around $30) and just pulled the old one and plugged in the new one (first dealer had shown me the location). Everything still working fine.

I believe this was the relay that controlled the compressor clutch, but I no longer have any notes, part number, etc., for it.

Before getrting to Visalia, it got pretty warm in Death Valley, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Good luck.

Reply to
BobT