2004 Camry "Check Engine"

When my new Camry hit 5000 miles, the "Check Engine" light went on. I presumed it was a reminder to get my oil changed. That was done but the light won't go out. I do not go to a dealership for oil changes. The dealership charges a lot to do the diagnostics which I found out when it first happened to my 1998 Camry. The gas cap is put on tight. Any ideas? Thank you.

Reply to
JBJ

the

it

ideas?

Reply to
Joe

Obtain the malfunction code to guide you to the source of the problem. You need an OBD II code reader. Auto Zone will read your code no charge.

Reply to
Skywalker

there is no built in reminder at 5000 miles to set your check engine light on. Some of the auto parts chains will read the code and reset it for you. If you tell us the code when you get it read, someone here can help probably. Sure the cap is on tight with several clicks? disconnecting the battery for several minutes may get the code to clear, but if there is a problem it will turn back on soon.

Reply to
ROBMURR

From where do I get the code?

I put the cap on tight with several clicks but when I open it to refill the tank, I notice that it doesn't seem tight. I will first try to disconnect the battery.

Thanks. Awaiting word on the location of the code.

Reply to
JBJ

Does Auto Zone read the code using the OBD II code reader? Or do I need to find the number with a reader and give it to Auto Zone? Thank you for the info on Auto Zone.

Reply to
JBJ
2004? Was your warranty invalidated somehow? With such low mileage everything related to that check engine light including diagnostics should be FREE!
Reply to
<psommerhalder

Never thought of that!! I just drove my car and made a mistake. It's not a "Check Engine" light, it's a "maintenance Required" light. Does that change anything about previous info I received?

Reply to
JBJ

I never did anything to invalidate my warranty. I will call my dealership. Thanks for the great info from everyone!!

Reply to
JBJ

Yes, the maintenance required light, like i said previously, check the manual of the car, it tells you how to reset it. I know I saw it somewhere in the manual before, search for maintenance required light, or odometer.

Reply to
Joe

Does the cap have o-ring, maybe it fell off?

Reply to
jjjsan

I don't know anything about an o-ring. But I know nothing feel off. Do you think that may be why the cap doesn't stay on tightly? Also, do you know anything about where I obtain this "code" that others have written about?

Reply to
JBJ

It's an indicator to change your oil.

Look in the owners manual. It will tell you how to turn the light off.

This will reoccur every 5000 miles.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
dr. dig

Do you

others

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
David

if you do indeed have a 2004 that would be covered under your warranty, I've never known a toyota dealer to charge for that while you car was under warranty take it to the dealer not really a big deal to get that taken care of.

Reply to
Rex_Pgh_Pa

Dr. Dig, Many thanks. You the only one who let me know that the light goes on at maintenance interval times. I noticed it and thought it was too coincidental; that this had to happen! I found the location in my manual and turned off the light. Now I'll know how to do it in the future!! Many thanks again. JBJ

Reply to
JBJ

Thank you, Joe. I found how to do it in the manual. It's done and now I know how to do it in the future and that, in fact, it will show up every

5000 miles.
Reply to
JBJ

Glad that you got it. My car is still at 3000, that's why I wasn't sure which button and key location it has to be in. I'll be doing it soon though.

Reply to
Joe

It's on page 117 of the manual. Turn the key to OFF. Hold down the button with the odometer reading showing. While holding the button, turn the key to ON. Hold it for numerous seconds. You will see the display light go off. It is reset. I printed up a copy of this small section and kept it separate because I'll never remember where to find it in the book when I need it again.

Reply to
JBJ