2004 V6 XLE Trans shiffting problem

Just purchased our third camry V6. This car shifts horrible. I was told it is because of the new 5 speed trans. Any one else have problems with this.

Reply to
chrism

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, chrism being of bellicose mind posted:

It takes a bit for the transmission ECM to "learn" your habits 500 miles minimum with a new vehicle. What is the particular behavior you're at odds with?

Reply to
Philip®

Philip the car has about 2000 miles on it. First it shifts way to fast on light acceleration. It will be in third gear before 25 mph. If you take off hard it shifts fine. After taking a hour long highway trip, it bucked between 2nd and

3rd gears as soon as we got of the interstate. And it does not like stop and traffic.
Reply to
chrism

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, chrism being of bellicose mind posted:

Ok. NOW I get it. The "problem" is not really a problem ... rather a disagreement. LOL Under very light acceleration, my 2003 Corolla shifts to 4th at 28-30 mph. Under real light acceleration, shifts occur at 1900 rpm with engine at operating temperature.

Explain "bucked between 2nd and 3rd gears" as this is really not possible during a shift UNLESS ... you started increasing throttle pressure just as the transmission was shifting 2-3 .... your increased throttle pressure making the transmission shift back 3-2 (the "buck"). BTW, you ARE free to use the OD Lockout button on the shift lever. BTW, since you have the new 5 speed automatic, the speeds at which 2-3 shifts occur is going to be different than earlier 4 speed units.

Reply to
Philip®

The shift from 1st to 2nd was smooth but from 2nd to 3rd the car would not go into 3rd gear without bucking. Throttle pressure was steady the whole time. Lexus es300 has had lots of problems with this trans, so why they put it in the v6 camry is beyond me. 30,000 dollar cars should not shift like this.

Reply to
chrism

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, chrism being of bellicose mind posted:

Have you contacted Toyota ... asking for a Technical Service Bulletin regarding transmission shifting?

Reply to
Philip®

My '03 V6 5-speed Camry has a clunky downshift intermittently, and if you shift from Drive to Neutral it bucks into reverse just momentarily. I bought it from a very large Toyota dealer, so took it back. They had their best transmission man road test and computer test it and said it was all normal, nothing wrong.

Later I contacted Toyota and they got in touch with the head of the service dept., and he did call me back and said that despite a good computer check, sometimes a transmission would have to be re-programmed. So I made the appointment, but the mgr was on vacation that week. The acting mgr said they road tested it and was OK, and that they did not re-program only in case of a replaced transmission.

I feel I got the royal run-around, and intend to contact Toyota about it very soon.

I am going to try and get that service bulletin from Toyota. It does not show up on the web site of NHTSA.

Wayne Norman

"Endeavor to persevere"--Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Reply to
Wayne55Dud

Wayne i thought the 5speed auto was new for the 2004 models with the v6

Reply to
chrism

I think it was introduced mid-year on the 03 models. Possibly was introduced along with the new V V T (variable valve timing) feature on the 3.0L V6, which I believe is upped to 3.3L for 04.

Mine was built in April 03.

Wayne

"Endeavor to persevere"--Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Reply to
Wayne55Dud

Mine shifted a little "funny" for the first few thousand miles and I wasn't sure I liked what was going on --- especially when I would then drive my wife's Honda Accord V6 but now at 4k miles plus the Camry knows my habbitsss i guess and I really like it. Now the Honda doesn't seem to have the zip.

is because of the new 5 speed trans. Any one else have problems with this.

Reply to
J Stutzmann