2005 Camry LE losing power while cruising at 1,500 RPM

Hi everyone, First of all, please let me note, I don't know too much (obviously) about the engine/car mechanics. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but I was hoping someone could give me some ideas...

I drive a 2005 Camry LE. Overall I'm very happy with the car and its performance except for one thing that I notice while cruising at around

75-80 km/hr. While driving at this speed and with approximately 1,500 RPM the engine starts to kinda "purr" and it feels like it's loosing the power. The only way to get rid of this is to suddenly accellerate to increase the RPM to about 2,000.

Is it normal? Should the RPM be at 1,500 while cruising at this speed and with throttle pedal only slightly depressed? Basically, what it does, it prevents me from being able to drive with the throttle pedal just lightly depressed. I need to give it a "kick" to increase the RPM to about 2,000 to make the engine sound right (?) and feel like it's ok and has any power.

I'm not sure if any of you can identify what could be the problem here (if any). The car is still under warranty but the thing is, if I go to Toyota, they may just say that it's normal or there's no problem. Besides, the trick is, that it's really hard to explain what the issue is unless you actually drive the car for a moment andget to cruising...

Is it possible that the throttle doesn't open enough and therefore doesn't supply enough fuel that engine is expecting??? Sorry, if this is a stupid theory... but if anyone could give me some ideas as to what I could look into, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alan

Reply to
Alander

Probably transmission problems, change the oil and filter and see if it helps.

Reply to
m Ransley

"Alander" didst typeth:

Have you tried driving with O/D off to use lower gears and higher rpm?

blah

Reply to
blah

Only on final gear? What happens if you cruise on lower speeds at same RPM when your gear is at 3rd or 2nd?, does it also loose power? the car will shift gears when you reach 2,500~3000 rpm so you try to control the speed.

Reply to
EdV

I would say this is normal. The transmission is in the overdrive mode and the engine is running very slow to give you good gas milage. Gas engines just start developing good power around 2000 to 25000 rpm. That is why you have gears. The more gears the beter an engine can stay in the maximum horsepower curve. That is around 2500 to 5000 rpm. Once you get to the speed you desire, say around 75 km/hr it only takes a small ammount of horsepower to mantain that speed. To speed up quickly , it takes lots more horsepower and unless the transmission drops to a lower gear the engine is in the low end of the horsepower rpm curve and can not develop the power quickly. That is one reason that most cars will shift to a lower gear if you press the gas all the way to the floor.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery