2003 Camry Intake Manifold bad

I have a 2003 camry with about 20500 miles which has been making a buzzing noise intermittently on light acceleration. I finally decided to take it to the dealer today and was told the problem is a bad intake manifold which is the subject of a TSB. He says that the car is out of the federal warranty(3 yrs or 36000 miles) and will cost me $575.00 to repair. I think this is unfair as the car is only 3 months out of the warranty and well under the 36000 miles. The enjine is a 4 cyl. Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone advise on how to get Toyota to repair it at their expense. I have owned 5 Toyotas and this is the first to have any problems at such an early stage. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
mwebsurfer

I'd suggest you take your problem to the "alt.autos.toyota" newsgroup ....there are a few very knowledgeable folks there who might steer you in the right direction. This problem does sound like a bummer, with the 36 months expired, but way under the 36,000 miles. Since the time element has elapsed, the Toyota folks would seem to have it their way.

Reply to
mack

Yes!! I have the same problem, I had the Intake Manifold replaced in Feburary 2006 at 589.00 (part was 404.00 plus labor) and now, here nine month later the car is making the same noise as before...the guy at Totyota of Gastonia stated that the part is only under warranty for 6 months!! but alos stated that the intake manifold on that model 2003 was a bad one and he has replaced lots of them..they will not recall the part because it isnt a safety issue..something needs to be done.

Reply to
cassybyrd

I was just writing the other day about the 2002+ 2.4L's noise problem with the intake manifold, about making sure the intake manifold was replaced when looking at a used 2002+ Camry. I would think Toyota had the problem solved, but looks like the new manifold design is failing too.

Consider talking to the Toyota Customer Service hotline. See if they'll honor the claim as goodwill. The general consensus is that Toyota's quality has been going downhill since the redesign in 1997. They should still have some lag timg before all the goodwill is burnt up. Who would have thought an intake manifold could cause problems this day and age.

mwebsurfer wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1163902814.599674.117380 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

exactly what kinda noise do the 2.4 (2002-2006) camry intake manifolds make??......we buy 50 camry's a yr. (rental fleet) all US built, and sell at 45k miles. ive never run into this particular noise. would like to know something about it tho........explanation or webpage would be appreciated.........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

My 05 Camry w/14k mi. sounds like it is pinging at low takeoff speed (4 cyl). Did it from day one. You only hear it when the windows are down in the summer and the radio is low. A fleet owner may not notice this kind of annoying sound. I thought it might be a valve train problem, but others identified it as a manifold problem?? it is a little higher pitch than a ping and you can't feel it. Never heard of noisy intake manifolds, but we'll see when the dealer looks at it the 1st week in December. I thought this was supposed to have been taken care of on the 02/03 vintage but apparently not. They will be looking at this problem, a sqeaky dash, squeaky door trim on both front doors, a rattly shift handle( common problem that sounds like a rattle coming from the dash), a drivers seat that rocks(another problem on many Camry's) and a rattly overhead console. So much for quality, but we'll see if they fix all this stuff.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG