'02 WRX - RPM limiter

Is there some sort of RPM limiter on '02 WRX? What I noticed last weekend while driving was sudden drop in RPMs after shifting from 4th to

3rd and hitting roughly 7500 RPM. I could even call it an engine stall as revs dropped sudenly to approx. 5K RPM....It basically happened by accident just before a sharp curve and surprised me a bit knowing that redline starts at 7K.
Reply to
Dundo

2 Stroke

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.nj.rr.com, Dundo spewed:

Yessir, you've found the WRX rev limiter. I've hit it once or twice, but only on hard pulls and in first gear. My foot timing was off a wee bit and the engine computer was gracious enough so as to save me from grenading the motor.

Reply to
Ned Pike

As far as the engine "grenading" it wont happen...thats what the limiter is for. UNLESS you do what you did before, like downshifting. Like the other guy said, its fuel and ignition cut when revving. If you were to do that (downshift into a lower gear when your already at 7k) again, and the engine did grenade (due to the trans simply overspinning the engine), dont plan on the dealer replacing your engine for free. They CAN retreive the max redline from the ecm. If it is past the factory preset redline, they know what happened and WILL tell you to hit the road...Trust me on this. Also what the heck were you doing downshifting at that rpm anyway??

Reply to
NitroTrike

Personally, I wouldn't want to put that kind of wear on my engine, but that's just me.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Slowing down just a bit. I was too fast to pass that curve and didn't want to step on brake, just doubleclutched and downshifted. I can't tell the RPMs at downshift since I had my eyes on the road but it was too close to the redline and went over the rev limit...I noticed it jumped between 7 and 8K when limiter kicked in...that sudden stall didn't feel good though. It's not nice losing the power at that moment...

Reply to
Dundo