83 Camry - cranks, sparks, won't start

I parked our old friend 6 months ago when we brought home a '03 Pilot (love it) and it sat A friend's daughter needs a car, so I offered our faithful Camry at no charge. We put in a new battery and turned the key. It just cranks. It has 1/4 tank of gas and the plug wires spark against the block, what could be wrong? It is fuel injected, so there is no carb to pour gas into, I think the pump is in the tank. This is the first real problem we have had with this 150K mile, 20-year veteran.

What can I try?

Reply to
Chris Jones

Disconect the air intake and spray in some either. disconect the fuel line and see if gas comes out. could be a fuse, fuel filter, fuel pump. cold start valve , pressure regulator, put some more gas in maybe the gauge is bad.

Reply to
mark Ransley

It could be as simple as bad gas. 6 months is long for certain new formulas, some get 3 months 1/4 tank allows for condensation to form.

Reply to
mark Ransley

After sitting that long,...Id check to see if you can hear the fuel pump running. Also, is it a rubber cam belt thing? Is the cam belt OK and not eaten thru by a rat or something? It has happened.Check your dizzt rotor is turning,...if you have checked the spark AT a plug,.then the dizzy will be in all likelyhoof OK.

Try putting some oil (a squirt) dowm the plug-holes to increase the compression to help starting. Once the bores dry out, the ring sealing goes off a bit ina n old car.

Remenber, it takes AIR, FUEL AND SPARK at the "right times" to make an engine run:-)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James