87 Toyota Camry elec. prob. circut breakers or short circut?

In My 87 camry all four of my circut breakers stopped working. I tried reseting them but nothing changed. If its a short circut how would I fix that? Also if anyone has an electrical book on the 87 camry that could maybe try and figure out why the circut breakers would stop working that would help. thanks Daniel

Reply to
LoonyDan42

Did they all just blow at once, what happened, and these contol what. How are you sure they dont reset how are you resetting them

Reply to
m Ransley

If it's a short circuit you'll never find it unless you kow what you're doing. Sounds like it's time to find a trusty shop that knows electrical.

Reply to
Hopkins

When you say 'cct breakers', you mean a resetable switch? In the end-run it doesn't really matter. If a short to earth exists on one or more of the +12v distribution wires,..then the over-current device for each of those wires will operate removing the battery from said wires.

If we are talking about a fuse, the best way is to remove the fuse and test the wire going to the facility in question (eg headlights or ignition or ECU etc) for how many ohms to earth or chassis/ground. If the multimeter readings is says 0. 5 ohms,..the the current is calculated by: I = V/R where I is current in Amps,..V is 12 (volts) and R is 0.5 ohms The answer is

12/0.5Amps or 24 Amps. If the fuse was rated at 20 Amps, it naturally would blow.

Having determined there is a short, the next thing is to remove the facility so there is only the short left on the line. The ohms to earth reading will rise as the facility is removed. You can then either use the multimeter or a testlamp connected to battery one side and its flying-lead on the shorted line as an indication if the short dissappears while checking wiring looms and the actual wire for insulation damage etc

Jason

Reply to
Jason James