96 Camry 4cyl LE Oil Light On - Engine Stopped

Please Help! Three weeks ago I replaced the crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, oil pump seal in my leaking Camry. Car has been running great since with no leaks. This morning on the way to work, the oil light flickered on, and then stayed on. I pulled over, checked the level, it was fine. Got back on tne highway and the engine make a quick screech and I shut it down. Car will run with a slight knocking sound, but I need suggestions on what it might be. Thinking either oil pick-up or oil pump?

Chris

Reply to
cshort

Um, I'd be thinking more along the lines of a rod or bearings. Not hearing the engine, but from what you have described, scrap steel is at an all-time high. If you want to salvage this this DON'T RUN IT! Pull the oil pan and take a look up from the bottom and tell us what you see...

Reply to
hachiroku

Did you pay a mechanic, I hope so, because a guess is it is toast from lack of oil.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Jason James

I used to drive a 99 Camry, in 2001, I didn't add engine oil when the red light on, it was then with engine noise, guess it's toasted by lack of oil.

the question is, how hard is it to fix this if it's really this problem?

tim

Reply to
tim