89 4cyl distributor removal

I recently bought a new set of plug wires and a distributor cap for my

89 4cyl. Problem now is that one of the screws on the cap is stripped somehow and rotates in its socket without moving out.

Anybody have any bright ideas on what my next course of action should be? The only way I can see getting a drill in there is to completely disconnect everything surrounding the cap, which I can't really do, because it's my only mode of transportation and I can't afford for it to be taken apart for more than a day.

The engine has started to sputter slightly when starting while the engine is warm, and I figured I'd replace the cap in an attempt to fix it.

Any help would be awesome! Jason

Reply to
Jason

Not sure about the 89 model, but on later ones if you remove the air cleaner assembly -- all plastic/rubber with just hose clamps, you'll get fairly good access. Or you could try a right angle drill or flexible shaft drill. Sometimes if you put outward pressure on the screw head (pry on the cap or screw head) while loosening the screw, it will unscrew far enough to get pliers on it to turn it the rest of the way. May have to tap anew with larger size once removed.

Reply to
camry-keeper