89 4cyl timing belt

The previous owner of my car (the original onwer, that is) tell me that she changed the timing belt periodically per Toyota's reccomendations. That being said, the car had 204,000 miles on it when she gave it to me. It now has 214,000 miles. Should I be changing the timing belt soon? I have no idea when she last changed it, the car sat for a year before it was given to me.

Also, how much will this belt/labor cost me? I'm trying to budget out some of my expenses for the next few months and I'd like to be able to budget this into that figure if it is needed.

Thanks! Jason Please reply to the group.

Westerville, Ohio (Columbus area)

Reply to
Jason

When we had our 88 timing belt changed, I think it was about $275 (including water pump and tensioner). This was at an independent shop in the Denver, CO area.

The good news: if the belt breaks, it won't do any engine damage.

The bad news: it will leave you stranded, usually at the worst time possible.

Reply to
Curtis Newton