89 camry, no check engine light

I have no spark and have found nothing conclusive in checking the ignition system and thought I would check for trouble codes. I noticed the check engine light NEVER comes on. I pulled out the instrument cluster and the bulb is OK. The PC board bugs OK and the other indicators light. I can't recall if the check engine indicator was lighting, when I first turn the key to ON, prior to the spark problem, or not. I'm thinking this sympton is indicating a faulty computer ? Please advise. Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

I find no continuity to ground at any of the 5 contacts on the wiring harness connector that mates with the ignitor. I can't see how the ignitor could possibly drive the coil without a ground connection ! Could this be the root problem -- does anyone know where in the car the ground connection is made ? The Haynes manual shows a white wire from the ignitor being grounded but I don't know that I can trust the manual, especially since a white wire from the ignitor mates with a different color wire at the harness connector. Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

I´m also having the same problem: no check engine light and no spark.have you found out the problem???

Reply to
corolla_ke20

No -- I wish. Tried a post this AM at

which was recommended to me but still hadn't see the post as of about a hour ago. Frustrating. If you would, contact me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

THAT'S "AAA OOO LLL . COMM"

Reply to
jimhigh66

Give the Toyota_Only forum a bit more time.

Those circuits can be complex. I have the factory manual for the 1994 and it shows the circuits right down to the transistors in the ingiter and the ECM. Not sure yours is the same. Basic advice is to check for secure connections or substitute another igniter. Maybe you can find one at a wrecking yard. For the '94 there are five connections to the igniter, and also a ground - so it could be the case that's grounded. For the five connections, one goes to IG2 at the ignition switch, one goes to the primary windings in the ignition coil, one goes to the tachometer, one goes to an IGT terminal at the ECM and one goes to an IGF terminal at the ECM. There is also a connection to ground, but I suspect that's the case. There's a page in the factory manual for spark test. Check for spark at the high tension distributor lead. Check coil and igniter connections. Check high tension cord resistance. Check power supply to coil and igniter. Check resistance of coil. Check resistance of signal generator (pickup coil). Check air gap of distributor. Check IGT signal from ECM. Try another igniter. IGT signal "O" from the ECM (transistor 1 aka Tr1) turns off Tr2 in the igniter, interrupting the primary coil current, and the igniter sends an ignition confirmation signal (IGF) to the ECM.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus